MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I've never bought aftermarket plastic before, so this is my first experience with it. I tried to order from Acerbis (A-Chair-bee, is that the correct way to say that?), but they didn't make anything for my bike (KLX300). So I tried Maier and they have a few things for the KLX. I bought a front disc guard and green number plates. This purchase came to 100 bucks w/shipping, alotta money for me anyway. My problem is, the quality seems to be lacking. They don't shine like the stock plastic does (did), and the holes are not drilled. It's like they forgot part of the manufacturing process to drill the dumb holes out. It wasn't a biggy, it took all of five minutes for me to drill them out but I couldn't help think that for a hundred dollars I shouldn't be doing what I considered there job. Mabey thats to customize the hole location for your bike? The stock plates had a metal grommet punched in the backside for the bolt to go through, these of course don't.

I thought about calling Maier, even though I'm going to keep the plastic, but I thought I'd check with fellow DRNers first. Anyone have experience with all three brands of plastic (including UFO) and the difference in quality/workmanship between them? I never thought about calling UFO, oh well. Thanx in advance,

Matt

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
I also find that Maier plastic doesn't have that "shine" to it. Also their color was a little off, in the green fenders I've seen. I would stick with Acerbis or UFO.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hopefully UFO has stuff for you, Maier is not the same quality.

gto-17

Aug 31, 2000
UFO/Acerbis

I've bought both UFO/Acerbis, both are good :) Front/Rear Fenders for a YZ80 were of good quality. I bought all UFO/Acerbis black plastic for my Kawasaki and its quality was quite good as well... :D

If you crash and scratch it up some very fine sandpaper (800) and wax work quite well. ;) Stickers well you wanted to order some new ones anyway! :D

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I installed a MX style rear fender on my KDX. I also noticed that the finish was not as glossy as Acerbis (I got my front fender from them). It's my understanding that it has to do with the manufacturing process - Acerbis, UFO and OEM injection mold the plastics while Maier uses a thermal forming process.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
For those of you that have used all three different brands of plastic, did you have to drill the holes out on the Acerbis & UFO products?

Matt

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree that the Maier plastic is not as shiny, but in their defense, it is very durable. Plastic gets scratched up pretty fast in the woods, so to me shine is a temporary thing with any brand.

Also, Maier offers plenty of products where shiny plastic is not important, such as a roost protector for your rear shock, or frame guards to keep your boots from scraping the paint off your frame.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have found that Maier plastic is of lower quality than the rest. I have used Acerbis handguards on my past 2 bikes without any problems, even after severe abuse. I bought a set of Maier handguards for my daughters bike, and as slow as she is, she managed to bust them in half! They were half the price of the Acerbis... now I know why!

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I must agree Maier plastic doesn't have the shine or exciting look like UFO or Acerbis plastic. I know this aint UFO's fault but please can some plastic company not make "PINK" aka "flo red plastic for older CRs, it looks way to girly.....:whiner: :mad:

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
Maier plastic is the worst! It looks stone age compared to Acerbis, UFO, or any of the others. A few years ago I made the mistake of ordering Maier plastic for my WR250 :scream: it was an eyesore. How they stay in business in todays competive world is beyond me. The market needs a plastic maker for older bikes, theres still a lot of them out there.

KLeeneX300

Dec 4, 1999
Maier is the only company that makes plastic parts for the KLX. You can get the front fender from UFO or Acerbis since it the same as the KX or KDX. For the rest ofthe parts it's either Maier or OEM Kawasaki stuff:mad:

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
Stigma Plastic

When the locals who can buy it cheap refuse to use it that sort of
tells you the dull impact it has on riders. UFO has some fantastic
plastic that looks sharp!

Top Bottom