making a 2 stroke "woods ready"

boogerboy72

Dec 8, 2002
i have a rm 125, it has a fmf spark arrestor and new sprockets(12-53). is there any thing i can do to make it more for woods and less on mx. the trails i have are really tight and i am bad bout fouling plugs.
thx

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
The first thing I would add would be some good handguards. In addition to saving your hands, they save your levers too. I ride my KX almost 100% woods, and I've only added my handguards, 2 teeth larger in the rear, and removed some HSC from the forks. It rocks in the woods!

Jeremy

chrishorton

Nov 25, 2002
I ride a '97 yz125 and I had really bad problems with plugs. I tried a hotter plug and just about all gas ratios for my bike. I found that changing the how many clicks my needle in my carb is set by one making it leaner did the trick for me. I would try this last because a plug or your gas ratio might fix your problem and isn't a major adjustment.

ram1

Dec 12, 2002
I had a 93 RM 125 and I went with a leaner pilot jet and moved the clip up 1 position on the needle, mixed 40:1 and went with a larger rear sproket, nice woods bike!!!!

ram1

Dec 12, 2002
I had a 93 RM 125 and I used a smaller pilot jet, moved the clip up 1 on the needle and ran a larger rear sproket. Mixed my gas at 40:1 and had a great woods bike....

boogerboy72

Dec 8, 2002
well i think ill adjust the pilot jet cuz i know suzuki is famous for not great jetting. and im gonn get hand gaurd after christmasbut im not buying a new chain just to chang ot an 11 on the front.
thanks for the advice.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
i've heard that changing the front sproket is bad for the chain wear and something else i dont remember maybe jaybird can help out here??
sounds like to me that the smaller front sproket will cause more problems than just buying the new chain & rear sproket

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
A smaller sprocket up front puts more force on the chain, ingreasing wear rate and increasing probably of breaking. You'll chew up front sprocets faster as weel.

Think about it, there are less teeth driving the chain with the same amount of torque driving the sprocket. Imagine pressing a pen with 5 pounds of force on your finger. Probable won't even hurt. Now imagine doing it with a needle, same amount of force.

Typically you'll be fine going 1 down (it's like going up 4 in the back! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee). Personally I wouldn't go down more than one. I'd just start adding teeth in the back after that.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Smaller front sprockets suck power as well. You're making the chain bend in a tighter arc.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I used to trail ride my 99 rm125. 12-53 gearing worked well for me. Sounds like you need to lean out your pilot jet. Stock was around 55 on my 99 and I went all the way down to a 40. It cleaned up the bottom considerably and improved throttle response, making it ALOT easier to ride in tight woods. I never had to worry about seizing because of the low load placed on the engine at off-idle conditions. Plugs always looked good and lasted forever.(Good thing, since I ran the $20 plugs).

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Going down one tooth in the front is pretty radical. It did help when I was learning, brought the chain in closer to the case and wore on it. The chain does take a lot more abuse than if you go up a few teeth on the rear. The torque of the countershaft is spread out over fewer links at any given time. It also rendered 1st gear all but useless, and that was on a 250. If you want to adjust sprocket size, I recommend going up 2 teeth on the back. Hopefully it will give you just enough change.

Chief

cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
Went from 14-48 to 11-52 gearing on my KX420, now I can putt up hills real slow (below the powerband) if there's ample traction.

coleman

Jan 4, 2003

I think its just a bit easier to jet your bike properly then to experiment needlessly with gas/oil ratios and different plugs.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I agree with coleman, take the time and jet properly. It's worth the time invested to make the bike run right, plus you get a good feel for your personal jetting needs making it easier every time you do it. Fooling around with premix ratios doesn't give enough of a change in overall jetting, so it's not worth the trouble.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…