Making a Radiator Brace?

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I noticed after riding in the mud this weekend that when you clip a tree and it hits the radiator it will do some serious damage. Unfortunatly I learned the hard/expensive way. So I am going to build a radiator brace that will bolt on to the frame and to the outside of the radiator. I have seen them in magazines and think I can make them at home. Its going to work on it next weekend and tell you all how it goes. And I am open to any suggestion if anyone has one or ever made one.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I thought about doing the same thing, but I don't think I have the tools to make it look right and even work right. I'd go with at least 1/8" aluminum or all your efforts will be for naught. Flatland Racing makes some nice full coverage braces, but not for the KDX. They're 1/8" thick according to my bud who has them on his WR426.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I bought and installed the works connection rad braces. Good but overpriced.

If you are handyman, I am sure you can replicate. Don't forget to dril large holes in the braces in order to ensure sufficient air flow.

I found the right side Work Connection rad brace to be a little too restrictive on air flow. See the picture at the following link.

http://www.worksconnection.com/store/product.html?prod_id=483

Good luck

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
That sight didn't give as good as a picture I had hoped. But thats fine, I am now debating on whether or not to use steel or aluminum. I am better with steel, and don't really know a whole lot about aluminum. But I think its such a small part that weight is going to matter a whole lot. I was planning on taking the drill press and drilling a whole bunch of stategicly placed holes in it to let the air flow. I think I am going to use steel, that away if it ever cracks (which I have never has a peice of steel crack) I can weld it. I am better with steel so thats what I will do.
I am going to make mine so it is about an inch and a half wide and it will go from the mound on the frame and branch off to the two mounts on the side of the radiator. I will have to experiment. I may have to trim the inside of the plastics. Thanks for the help

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…