master link question.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i took my chain off a while back. the other day if cleaning the bike and i went over it. i check the chain and the clip for the master link was gone. i had an extra laying around, so i put that one on. that fell off yesterday at the pit. my question is. is there a certain direction to put this on? which does the open face point towards the engine or away from the engine?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Yes...

Face the open end away from the direction of rotation. When above the swingarm rotating the wheel in the forward direction the open end should point towards the rear.

If your wheel is not straight, "not adjusted properly" and you turn your wheel backwards while on the stand you can actually knock your master link off if it hits your chain guide or passes through an area of packed mud/dirt.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i was unsure. i was thinking that way made the most sense. i just didnt think of it when i put my master link on. i totally forgot about the chain guide. thank you.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…