Max Fork Presssure and Pinch Bolts TQ question...

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
Still tweaking...

The front fork operating air pressure on my 86' 200 is 6lbs, max pressure is 36lbs. What can I crank it up too, I don't understand what the difference is between operating and maximum(under load possibly)?

I replaced the front fork oil and when I put the pinch bolts back on I questioned the torque rating of 14lbs, it seems a bit low to me. I gripped the socket wrench right next to the socket and tq'd down, I'm sure in excess of 14lbs (probably 30-50lbs), to my comfort level. Anyone have feelings towards the stock tq ratings? The fact that the fork housing is cast I would think it could take more pressure without collapsing the fork tubes. Any vibrations/movements would be problematic in my views. Should I loosen and retighten?

Never did get that allen bolt out, another day...

As always, thanks for the help. Gonna ride it one day!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
30-50 lbs and didn't strip the clamp? I'd bet that can't be.
***edit***
I failed to specify the following torque numbers are 'H' model related. Point is, it ain't no 50!

Spec is 14 on the top, 18 on the bottom.

...or is it 18 on the bottom and 14 on the top.......?

Guess that's why I wrote the numbers on the clamps!!!

The given spec is pretty close to what the clamps will handle, threadwise. I'll bet they won't take 50!

Last edited:

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
Well maybe it felt like it was more, in my head I knew it was 14 but I was working by the good ole gut feel approach and was careful. I would think those screws could take a good deal but your right they can only go soo far by design. I probably won't back them off, kinda like putting in a plug (no reason to back off once you have gone there).

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
When I mentioned air, you pump them up just like a street bike. The top cover has a nipple on it, don't all? Not many bikes without them, except back in the ole days.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No, all don't.

There may be a poppit valve for bleeding air pressure off the system. While pressurized air can be used, it's usually a bandaid approach for some other insufficiency in the fork.

Some riders have gone to the trouble of plumbing the two forks together with a guage to allow pressurization to suit for different riding situations.

The same sort of adjustment you can get from the compression clickers.

Where did you get the 36psi spec?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Different years must have different torque specs. My manual says 14.5 lbs top and bottom bolts.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
6 lbs with the forks fully extended sounds right.
Maybe to test for the high pressure you could nose the bike up to a wall and with the air gauge held on the valve (by a buddy) you could push-pump the forks up/down and see how high the gauge reading goes. If it goes too high then you'll have to let some of the fork oil out.

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
I found the max pressure in the manual.

Jaguar, I agree, it must be psi under load.

Thanks guys!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…