mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
OK, I picked up my new scoot(03 200exc) last Fri. and got to work. Transfered from my 99: #8 straight PDS spring, carbon fiber skid plate, rear brake shark fin, enduro engineering clutch lever, clutch slave cylinder guard. Installed enduro engineering bark busters w/ farings, S-12's front & rear incl. moose heavy tubes, removed rear tail-light assembly. Set static sag at 35mm as described in manual, set handlebars and control levers to my liking as well as shifter and rear brake lever. So I'm about ready to go, but still a few questions. I have a day off wenesday so I plan on finishing off then. I've determined that I'll need 4.2 front springs for my wieght, and as the exc's adjust pre-load with shims to set front sag(as described in WP fork manual) does anyone out there know which shim to begin with? Also, WP PDS manual lists as very important, the spring (mines a straight,as in not progessive) coil direction, as in you can get it on upside down. Looking at the pictures it looks as if I've reversed mine, is this really critical with a straight rate spring? All I have to do is the front springs, fork oil level check, put on my seal savers and my carbon fiber front rotor guard, and shes ready to go. Oh, I've also got to pick up my 45t rear sprocket and install that too. I can't belive that I'll have to wait untill next Sunday to ride(many work obligations between now and then) but I am READY let me tell you. I've also checked the torque on every bolt on the thing, I am getting positively ANAL, let me tell you. Can you tell this is my 1st new ride since '71? Anyway, can anyone make any suggestions as to anything I've left out? My big questions concerning rear sping coil direction, and recomended shims for proper 4.2 spring preload. Thanks in advance for any advice.

KTMSMITH

Jan 9, 2002
I started with 10mm of preload and then went to 5mm. I prefer the 5mm because it felt more compliant on small trail junk. I have the exact spring set up as you. Also, don't waste your time on static sag set up. This advice came straight from MX-Tech. You already have the the right springs for you weight. Go with 100mm of sag with all your gear on and you will be pleased. Its too bad you did not start out with the stock set up because the change in springs made a dramatic difference in my bike. Also, give your suspension a good 15 hours to break in, then do your fine tuning. Believe me, it takes the WP components that long to break in. Your gonna love this bike!!!!!

Last edited:

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
There is no "up or down" on straight rate fork springs. What you read in the manual probably pertained only to progressive springs (which KTM doesn't use on any of their forks...well, except maybe the Duke fork).

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
KTMSmith, Thanks for the info, I can't wait to ride this thing. The spring I think I put on wrong is the rear, can you get those reversed? No big deal to change it if you can. I'll post a full ride report after sunday. I'm trying to convince my 14 year old to take the 99 over his CR, as it would be a better hare scrambler, so he'll be riding that , which will give me a back to back comparison.

KTMSMITH

Jan 9, 2002
I don't know about the rear spring direction. I just put mine on with the spring rating {which is on the coil about midspring} right side up. It must be right because I have no complaints.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
I don't know about it really being "right or wrong", but I think it's just kind of an accepted standard practice. You know? Just one of those things that you do because it's the "way it's done".

Tight coils on top!

;)

Top Bottom