Life after 40

Sep 6, 2004
Several weeks ago, I purchased an 04 KDX220. I love the bike and am pleased with the performance. However :laugh: I'm interested in learning how to make the bike quicker in the low and mid range.

My mechanical skills are limited at best :bang: I also don't want to spend a great deal of money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :worship:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I would do: 1. The free mods such as jetting, taking off the airbox lid, etc. 2. Eric Gorr Porting 3. A good pipe and silencer.

Life after 40

Sep 6, 2004
Will taking off the airbox lid result in damage to the carb i.e. dirty air? What does jetting and Eric Gorr Porting mean? Any suggestions on a pipe and silencer? Can I keep the stock pipe and simple change the silencer?

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Head to the JUST KDX homesite and check out the tech tips sections. This site will answer 99% of your questions regarding all mods. http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/
There is a ton of info here and it is well worth your time and money as most any mod you can think off has been tried,tested and reviewed. Also check out the first two threads on the main list. Happy Reading :cool:

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
I hate to use the word exactly around here because sooner or later some purist will be throwing some obscure spec. back at me. Bottom line, It's the same bike. All the info for the 220's will apply. Thanks BC

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Life after 40 said:
Several weeks ago, I purchased an 04 KDX220. I love the bike and am pleased with the performance. However :laugh: I'm interested in learning how to make the bike quicker in the low and mid range.

My mechanical skills are limited at best :bang: I also don't want to spend a great deal of money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :worship:

Use the search function and your head will be spinning with data overload! Anything you want to know about has been discussed in great detail and are in the archives. But in the great words of JW... Buy a manual! :laugh:

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I bought my 04 KDX a month ago. I took the airbox lid off and did the jetting. What a difference! :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

In stock form the jetting was so far off on the 04 that my 88 KDX was quicker and didnt kill every mosquito within a mile as the 04 did. Read the tech tips and do searches on the items that you want to improve. You will find most everything you need to get the 04 set up.

Enjoy the new bike. I sure am :)

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
BRYDEN1 said:
I hate to use the word exactly around here because sooner or later some purist will be throwing some obscure spec. back at me. Bottom line, It's the same bike. All the info for the 220's will apply. Thanks BC

The graphics are different :nener:

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Life after 40 said:
Will taking off the airbox lid result in damage to the carb i.e. dirty air? What does jetting and Eric Gorr Porting mean? Any suggestions on a pipe and silencer? Can I keep the stock pipe and simple change the silencer?

Like everyone has already said. Look into Canadian Dave's web site for the modding list in order of best bang for the buck.
Removing the air box has little to do with sucking in dirty air. As long as your air filter is well maintained and oiled (but not over oiled) The increased exposure will be at a minimum. The air box lid is very restrictive, and should be removed for improved performance. The only real downside to removing the air box is that it makes it easier to drown the motor if you happen to cross a puddle that sudenly becomes very deep. Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

Life after 40

Sep 6, 2004
When I asked the dealer about removing the airbox lid he was less than encouraging. Is there an after market aibbox lid that improves airflow without completly removing it? Also, if I remove and or modify the lid, will I need to rejet? Finally, any suggestions on replacement pipe and/or arrestor?
Thanks for the feedback:)

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Life - John has my email - shoot me a message.

I can give you just about all the info you will need. Have no fear of tossing the airbox lid. Take a look at the one I did on John's bike. Snorkle is removed and several holes are drilled for better airflow. Works great.

I can give you a 2 year synopsis of what has been discussed here as far as upgrades.

How is John enjoying the KDX?

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I have an 03 220. Here is what I did.

-I drilled two 2" holes in the air box lid
-Changed jetting to lean it out a bit since they come rich from the factory
-raised the carb clip to # 2 position
-added fmf gnarly woods pipe and turbine core Q silencer
-had fredette install gold valves and springs in forks, will get shock done this winter

Get the service manual, it shows how to do most everything.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Life after 40 said:
When I asked the dealer about removing the airbox lid he was less than encouraging. Is there an after market aibbox lid that improves airflow without completly removing it? Also, if I remove and or modify the lid, will I need to rejet? Finally, any suggestions on replacement pipe and/or arrestor?
Thanks for the feedback:)

The dealers will never encourage you to remove the airbox lid. Nor will they usually admit that the jetting is really rich. Nor will they admit that they should have greased the shock linkage when it was built.
If you are dead set against pulling the lid odd just pull the rubber snorkel out of it and install some White Brothers air box vents in it. (They are sold under other names as well)

Click (HERE) And read it thouroughly. Including new bike prep and KDX tech tips. The hop-up guide is very useful.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom