Mar 16, 2007
does anyone know of any videos of jeremy mcgrath floating around the net? I did a search on you tube but not much showed up. I would like to see some vide of him back when he was on a honda and was a yellow # 1 :boss:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not sure if you are asking to see Mcgrath on the Suzuki in 97 with his #1 plate or if you mean the Blue plate with Yellow #1 signifying the Grand National Champion status. If it's the Blue plate with yellow #1 McGrath never earned that plate in fact I don't believe it was still contested by the time Jeremy turned Pro.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I was thinking McGrath had the blue backgrounds in supercross in 94 and maybe 95. I may be mixed up with Jeff Stanton who was the champ before MC. Either way the different colored backgrounds had to do with Coors Light sponsoring the supercross series. When ever they dropped sponsorship, the different colored background disappeared. (Now that no one seems to be running the #1 I'm glad the diffent colored background is back)

It's not racing but MC is featured pretty heavily in the first 4 Fox Terrafirma videos. I think they even offered a box set on DVD but I don't know if its still available. The Steel Roots videos are pretty good but they are from MC's Suzuki and Yamaha days.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The Blue Background with the Yellow #1 was to designate the Grand National Champion (Supercross and Motocross Combined) since MC only won one outdoor title (1995) on the big bikes then it would have been 96 he would have been entitled to wear that plate. The series was sponsored by Wrangler and was only run a few season and I'm fairly confident even thought I can't find much info online, that the series was a very short lived thing.

Check the 1983 entry under Bailey's bio http://www.davidbaileymx.com/pages/bio.html.

Also found reference online to the Blue Camel Supercross plate although I can't find a single picture of McGrath with a Blue plate.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
he did dominate when he was riding a honda for a while though, than he went suzuki and than yamaha right?
and then KTM and back to Honda.

He won the Supercross title on a Honda in 93,94,95 & 96.
He also won the 95 250 Outdoor chanpionship.

Before that he rode for Mitch Paytons Team Peak/ Splitfire when they were on Honda 125's and won at least one title for them.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Nice find. I'll bet that is from '96. Since he won the SX and MX titles in '95, it would be fitting for him to run the blue background, denoting the Grand National Champ.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
OK, I've been digging through old magazines in the garage and found some old pics. Batteries are charging on the camera. I hope to have them posted before bed time.

Until then:

It looks like he wore the Sinisalo gear and had the blue backgrounds in Supercross in 94 and 95.

By 96 he was wearing FOX gear, white backgrounds.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Cool.

I vaguely remember that the rider who scored the most combined SX and MX championship points was entitled to run the blue background.

When did he start with the 1-800 Collect sponsorship?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
www.flickr.com Search for dwreckmx20

I'm pooped, no explanations right now to go with the picture.

He had the 1-800- Collect stuff in 94, 95 and 96 and 97. Maybe more.

Chili, I don't know where I came up with Coors Light but Camel was a sponsor from 89-95.

This was kind of fun going through these old magazines. Remember long rod Yamaha's, Honda's fork recall on the 95's. MXA trying to get everyone to run full body plastic. I knew there was a reason I hadn't thrown all that stuff out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom