Merry X-Mas with a brand new exhaust

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
Well I am pleased to say this is the best bikers Christmas ever, not only did i get the opportunity to pick up a great starter bike for my son, but Dad got a new FMF Rev Pipe and Q Silencer for his 02 KDX, Yesss! lol Man i love Christmas. :nod: I hope all of your KDX Christmases are as merry. BTW This forum kix ass, ive learned so much here over the years, thank you very much :cool:

Last edited:

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
Ahh but Sam, i was a good boy this year, santa knows his stuff!!! lol, anywho i just received them today, holy hell that was a long wait. but well worth it. just one beef, for some reason i thought FMF would include the exhaust springs. but hey thats just fine by me. well heres the deal I have a 2002 KDX 200 that i fell in love with the moment i layed eyes on it, and now im gonna give it the star treatment, i started with the exhaust to really motivate me and when i seen that nickel plating shining up at me that was all the motivation i needed. now comes the fun part. it already has a wiseco standard piston, with cylinder nikasil plating. now should i do the boyensen or the V force Delta? any input would help. BTW do i have to tune the jetting with the new pipe additions

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Just but boyesen 607 power reeds in the stock cage. I haven't tried the rad valve or vforce on my kdx, but everything I read says the performance is not much more than the boyesen 607 reeds, and the cost is a lot more.

Congrats on the pipe! Ideally yes, you'll want to re-jet after putting on the new pipe. If you havn't ditched or modded the airbox lid, you might want to try that as well, and THEN jet it.

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
Great advice thanks julien_d im gonna try the airbox mod, do you have any idea of the process ie what size drill bit, placement of holes, and im thinking if i do drill holes should i lay a piece of screen in the box up under the holes to keep out dirt and such?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
My airbox lid is removed completely. There's no VR on my bike to worry about mounting though. I have never had a problem with too much dirt getting in there, and I've swamped the bike more than once.

I would probably just cut most of the lid off, leaving a section where the VR is mounted. If you want to tape some screen or something on it, surely that would not be a bad idea.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Mine was easier to jet with the lid intact, but the snorkel removed.

If you look at the opening through the reeds and cylinder, not to mention the piston, I don't think making a big hole in front of a little hole buys you anything but noise.

I'm tempted to put the snorkel back in and try and jet it in that state. I wonder how many people pull the snorkel and lid, create a big dead spot at low RPM, and mistake the messed up power band for a gain in power.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I need an air box lid so I can use my salvaged vaccum cleaner hose to make a snorkle that I can clip on my chest protector ;)

king_kdx

jullien is right the 607's are reall nice...so take the $100 saved and get a trials tire dude :cool:
or a mx rear fender and a trailtech computer (mine does speed, rpm, shift pionts, time, and outdoor/ engine temps, trip meter, plus accumulated time on engine)

play with the jetting (low 40's piliot, low to mid 150's main) and needle clip position (2nd or 3rd from top) I like 2nd depending of course on your temps/ altitude

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
I shall certainly weigh my options. I talked to Jeff Fredette yesterday(kida felt like i was talkin to a celebrity) and he told me they have the MX fender for the KDX which i plan on purchasing very soon, man what a great dude. the only thing is once i get this bike as purrty as i want it i probably wont want to ride it, im hopin my wife just lets me set it in the living room kinda like a knick knack. lol

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
julien_d said:
oops. posted in the wrong thread entirely.
Damn i was hopin you had some more good advice, man i cant stop reading all the information this forum has to offer, its amazing. :cool:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
King_KDX said:
I shall certainly weigh my options. I talked to Jeff Fredette yesterday(kida felt like i was talkin to a celebrity) and he told me they have the MX fender for the KDX which i plan on purchasing very soon, man what a great dude. the only thing is once i get this bike as purrty as i want it i probably wont want to ride it, im hopin my wife just lets me set it in the living room kinda like a knick knack. lol

FRP seems to have steped away from the kdx a bit in the website but thats good to here he still speaks kdx

Dude KDX's are for riding and getting dirty in fact they love it because all the attention they get while cleaning them up afterwards

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
it would be nice if kawasaki reintroduced the kdx with an aluminum frame and the kx forks, maybe in time

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
i could go for an ice cold beer right now, wait its only 7 am

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
Im trying to decide if i should keep my factory exhaust for a spare or just sell the darned think for a hundo or something, any ideas which is best?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Joburble said:
17!!! You must have been real thursty.

no actually I have a problem....I drink as much beer as I come home with.. that night it was an 18 pack

so as best I can, i'm staying away from it this year :nod:

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
King_KDX said:
Im trying to decide if i should keep my factory exhaust for a spare or just sell the darned think for a hundo or something, any ideas which is best?
Keep it as a spare, it's worth next to nothing anyway and it may just come in handy one day if you damage your new pipe.

King_KDX

Dec 16, 2009
well i guess ill just have to find a place for it then, but i pray too God nothing happens to the new pipe. I need to find a good pipe guarrd

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I've been riding my pipe for over a year and went down alot and nothing damaged it so far ..I think the bark busters (enduro engineering) have saved the bars, radiators and pipe several times over.

Top Bottom