Michigan man keeps 'Monster Garage'

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
My kind of guy! This was in the chicago suntimes today.I wish you could see the picture.It was in a nice neighborhood too An attached 6000 foot garage! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

TROY, Mich. -- Paul Piscopo's garage covers 6,000 square feet and has room for 28 full-sized pickup trucks. But he's got another use for it in mind, now that a judge has taken his side in a months-long battle with disgruntled neighbors.

''I'm thinking it's a party. I'm going to throw a garage party!'' Piscopo said Tuesday after a judge reversed a decision by the Troy Board of Zoning Appeals demanding the garage be reduced in size or torn down.

Several of Piscopo's neighbors contended the 150-foot-long, 60-foot-wide, 20-foot-tall corrugated sheet metal building -- which they dubbed the ''Monster Garage'' -- has hurt their property values and ruined the residential feel of their sedate neighborhood.

''We've got to live with it now,'' one of the neighbors, Tom Krent, said after learning of Warren's ruling. ''It's certainly not going to make for a friendly atmosphere.''

AP

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I search Google hi-and-low for pics.....none yet.. :|

Crazy

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
they used to talk to this guy on the Detroit AM radio shows. the city approved building the garage, then changed their minds after it was built. needless to say he fought the reversal in court. wish i had his number maybe talk him into an indoor track :think:

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
indoor track....LOL I think he should be made an honorary member here with his own "how to talk your wife into a huge garage" forum.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
RYDMOTO said:
''We've got to live with it now,'' one of the neighbors, Tom Krent, said after learning of Warren's ruling. ''It's certainly not going to make for a friendly atmosphere.''

Yeah, as if taking him to court in the first place was going to improve neighbor relations. :coocoo:

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

An eyesore! That garage probably looks nicer than a lot of people's houses do. As long as he keeps everything looking nice I don't see what the big deal is, it's his property if he wants to have a big garage let him. Neighbours are probably just jealous...haha.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
It was most likely a neighborhood that had restrictions> You know, the ones where you can't even park your car in the front overnight, or leave your mower out. I'm sure they had a small building restriction, that might have started all this. I guess if that was the case, he just changed it! HA

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Zoning is about as close to complete crap as you can get. Stossal did a story on 20/20 last year about the "little dictators" in zoning. The guy followed the rules, the nieghbors bitched. He it's his dam property, he paid for it. AND did is say FOLLOWED THE RULES. This kind of thing is why race tracks and riding parks have so much trouble. lets move next to a friggin airport and then BITCH because planes take off and land.
zoning and the way most of it is handled is way to restrictive and people fail to realize that after you Human rights the next most important thing you have is your property rights.

stepping off soap box, sorry.

:)
wardy

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
This is part of the reason we are moving out of our neighborhood. This is no joke, in order to plant shrubs, flowers, make a new flower bed, paint your front door, or even put up a swing set for your kid, you must seek approval from the home owners association first or you will be fined. They can fine you, make you remove the improvements or you face more fines. If the fines are unpaid they can put a lean on your home. Pretty serious stuff. They also mandate that your fence has to be stained, at least the part facing the street, which is not a bad thing IMO but they went as far as to specify that it could only be 1 of 6 colors made by Behar... and you had to ask permission first. The president of the HOA is a first time home owner and has little-man syndrome. Not that he is short, rather that he has never been asked to be in charge of anything. He was one of the first people in this neighborhood and was given the job w/o an election. He was re-elcted but nobody in the neighborhood was made aware that ther was an election. Most of the neighborhood dislikes the guy and at a meeting when asked why we were not made aware of the election dates his response was that it was in the CCR's he sent to all of us.... one one of the 673 pages of BS rules and regs about living in the neighborhood. Ahhhh, don't get me going.

It is a shame, I love the area, but the HOA is too much for me to take. So I bought 2.5 acres next to the neighborhood and I can do what I please.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Tell ya what we spent 3 years fighting zoning in this county, built a web site for the organization, and this group held up zoning, but til likely next month it will be lost.
That will be on 2-9-06 when the county board is going to vote it in any way. Can you imagine, 4 years ago, in a NON binding referendum, this county voted against zoning 82 % , they are going to vote it in anyway. Sure like how they are "representing" us.

wardy

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom