shootinsteel

Jan 11, 2009
I recently bought a 2005 Honda CR-125 for my son that had been ridden about 10 hours and he has about 5 hours on it so far. It's a great bike for him but fouls plugs way too often. The motor seems sluggish and slow to rev but pulls really hard once it's wound up. I had planned to try some different jets but wanted to know what was in it before I started buying new mains, pilots, and needles. The manual calls for 430 Main, 55 Pilot, needle in the 3rd slot, 2 turns out on the air screw. Right now it has a 410 Main, 45 Pilot, 1 1/2 out on the air screw. I took the top off the carb to look at the needle but couldn't figure out how to get the slide loose from the throttle cable. I collapsed the spring up to the carb top and pulled the white plastic collar up out of the way and thought the ball on the end of the cable should come out of an opening on side of the hex nut on top of the slide but it won't even begin to move. The hex nut doesn't want to turn at all and I got on it hard enough I was afraid it would break off. What holds the throttle cable on to the slide?
I had planned on getting one of the jet kits from JDJetting for this bike and see if that would help the way the bike runs but if I can't get the slide off to replace the needle or move it up or down on the slide I'll have to take it somewhere and pay a mechanic to try and clean up the jetting for me. That may be the safest option anyway because it's already quite a bit leaner than stock and I'd hate to seize it up if I got it too lean. Thanks for your help.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The JD Jetting kit is AWESOME, get it and follow the directions and you should be a happy camper, we sure are.

It's been a while since I put the kit in my son's CR125 but it sounds like you are on the right track, the spring and white nylon retainer need to be pull up and then you push the cable down and slide it out. The "nut" in the bottom can be a little snug and you sure don't want to butcher it up but I would suggest getting it all detached from the bike and then wrapping it in a shop towel and gently placing it in a bench vice, just enough to hold it. Then see if you can get some decent leverage on it from there because it beats breaking the carb body using it for a vice.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yeah, it will come out of the side of that nut, but from my experience, it can be very stubborn. Wiggle the cable a lot, it'll come out. Then you have to get the damn thing back in.. Whoot.. That's the fun part.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Might want to put a little anti-sieze on it when you replace it if you notice corrosion. I've never had problems with that but I'm sort of anal about keeping my carb cleaned so it's apart a few times a year.

shootinsteel

Jan 11, 2009
Just wanted to give y'all an update. I finally got the cable out of the slide,but I didn't see what was keeping it from coming out in the first place. It's like the lead slug got stuck in the groove in the nut on top of the slide. anyway, it had the stock needle (6 DGY 28-68) in the middle position. I ordered the JD Jetting kit and have installed it, but have to wait for some decent weather to try it out. It's about 20 degrees out now with a wind chill of 10, we don't ride the bikes when it's that cold out so the jetting probably wouldn't be quite right anyway.
The kit jetting recommendations were close to the factory except for the pilot jet which is several sizes leaner and the needle is much different but doesn't have any markings as to size etc. Maybe this will solve the plug fouling. I'll let you know after I ride it.
Thanks for the responses.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll be amazed if it doesn't make it nice an crisp across the board.

Top Bottom