MO Blizzard of 06 - A cajun transplant's perspective

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I'm not sure what to do with this stuff if I don't have skis on my feet. We got about 10-14 inches last night with some drifts of about 4 ft with my untrained eye out my window.

Initial assessment: office is closed, the kids and I are going to have fun today. Glad I bought that snow shovel last week while at Home Depot. But first some pancakes and a little more coffee.

More to follow later when I venture out. Meanwhile:

Attachments

• Front door.JPG
    Front door.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Patio.JPG
    Patio.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 143

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
WOW! We're south-west of St Louis, about 2 hrs from you........ and only got about 2".

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
When did you move to MO?? I must have missed that part! Looks like fun! Have an extra pancake for me.

I have never lived in the snow and never know how to deal with it either. It scares me, actually. Once, I flew into Milwaukie for a meeting and had to go buy a winter coat - I came unprepared. I worry about things like getting out of the driveway, walking on the sidewalk, and work/life/school issues, although I don't have kids. What about "outdoor" pets?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
We never get hit like that anymore. Last time that I can remember was maybe early 80's.

Side note:
I had a Malamute (Hoss) during the last big storm to go through our area. Woke up that morning to a scene just like yours. Walked out to check things out and Hoss wasn't in his dog house. Panic !!!!! Started calling and looking for him, when suddenly a pile of snow started moving and up pops Hoss completely covered in snow. He had abandoned his dog house and let the snow cover him up. He shook the snow off and was looking at me like "What ?????". After doing a little research I found out this is normal behavior for Malamutes, and other sled dogs. They actually stay warmer under the snow when sleeping in their little cocoons.

Mully

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
It will melt give it a few weeks/months. LOL we got that and more up here, buried the tahoe (4x4) already, glad I brought my shovel home. Of course the shovel I like to use has wheels a cab and two "joy sticks".

good luck looks like this winter is geared up for that other thing that is "worse" then a quad, you know ski's and tracks! LOL!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
We moved to MO a month and half ago. REALLY like it so far.

After a batch of Euge's homemade pancakes and little more coffee out we went. My kids have never really seen snow and my youngest (almost 3) thought she was on a new planet or something kind of freaked her out a bit. Got the walkway and driveway shoveled. Had a little help.Took a while. Now I know why God gave us snowblowers. It crossed my mind that I'm the only person in my family that even owns a snowshovel.

This afternoon's agenda sledding and debating whether or not a I want to dig the KTM out of the basement :ride:

Attachments

• Helper.JPG
    Helper.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Helper 2.JPG
    Helper 2.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Street.JPG
    Street.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 101
B

biglou

You thought I was joking when I posted that "You might be from Missouri if..." thread, didn't you?! :laugh:

btw-Woke up, called in, went back to sleep, woke up again to find my driveway cleared by the neighbor with the kickass snowblower. Awesome! :cool:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
GETMETOCA said:
What about "outdoor" pets?

Lakota LOVES the snow - she runs around like a nutcase with nothing more than her tail sticking up out of the snow.

BUT - We do have to clear a path for her because she's too short to do her business in deep snow.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Well, day two, and I've managed to shovel everything that makes sense or seems like it would need to be (but what do I really know). Streets still not cleared. Had one truck go by late yesterday delivering newspapers, dedication.

Figured I might as well shovel a path down the driveway on the side of the house and dig the KTM out of the basement to make a recon trip and determine if the highway is clear yet. Besides, I've never ridden in snow and I'm kind of curious.

Long story short, big surprise ice is slick and soft snow 12 or so inches deep is tough to negotiate on a dirtbike. I managed to make it down the highway, which is clear. Cruised a couple miles either direction, all looks good. Once the hood gets scraped we'll be set. Made it back home to a loving wife trying to get a shot of me spoding out and falling over, she almost got it. Is it wrong to try to roost your wife when she maybe/kind of wanted a shot of you falling down? :nener:

Attachments

• Sliding around the hood.JPG
    Sliding around the hood.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 72
  • KTM snowblower.JPG
    KTM snowblower.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 74

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I bet that felt good!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
evenslower said:
I'm not sure what to do with this stuff if I don't have skis on my feet. We got about 10-14 inches last night with some drifts of about 4 ft with my untrained eye out my window.

Initial assessment: office is closed, the kids and I are going to have fun today. Glad I bought that snow shovel last week while at Home Depot. But first some pancakes and a little more coffee.

More to follow later when I venture out. Meanwhile:

AH :yikes: LUCKY :pissed:

Top Bottom