Moose Aluminum Handgaurds... can't get them on!!

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
Like the title said... I can't get them on.

The hole on my bar end is really small and the screws I was given with the guards don't fit. Is there a trick to this or something?

BTW... they are being installed on stock bars.

Thanks for your help.

Tazmanian

Jan 11, 2005
The stock kdx bars have a steel plug in the end of the bars. You can tap threads in the plugs or grind the end of the bars to remove the spot-welds to remove the plug.

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Taz is correct, on the stock bars, you need to cut the bar end off to eliminate the "plug" and use the expansion type fitting that comes with most hand guards. An alternative, that I used on a stock bar, is to get a stainless steel self tapping screw/bolt, and use this, with a spacer between the throttle tube and hand guard [so throttle won't bind on guard] to bolt guard into bar plug. Worked great for me until I replaced bars. Jim G

Oct 10, 2004
I had to drill my bars out to 9/16 to get mine on. I only removed a small amount of material but enough to get them on

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I had the same problem with my moose guards. The end pieces that they come with are to big. I went back to my dealer and they gave me ones that were smaller that slid in there and worked correctly. I dont know why the one were bigger but thats how I corrected my problem

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Most barkbusters come with two mounting bolts- one for steel bars and one for aluminum bars. Aluminum bars have a smaller inner diameter and aluminum is softer so it uses two pieces that dig into the inside of the bar. For steel bars it uses a piece of rubber hose that gets squished (and expands outwards) in the bar when you tighten the bolt, holding the barkbuster on.

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
It was so much of a hassel with me, I just opt to change the bars out so I didnt have to deal with the plug in the bars. Much easier to do it that way and you can always have a spare set of bars when you ride.............peace

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
Hm... Very interesting...

I have thought about just replacing the bars but I think I will try the cut 3/4 of inch method. I started drilling one side out but I think for the inch that I will loose it will be much easier to just cut. Is there a trick to getting the grips off? I think mine were glued onto the bars. Will I have to cut them off and get new ones or can they be saved?

Thanks for your help.

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
Well if you glued your grips on, more than likely you wont be able to get them off without cutting them. Mine were glued and it took a hair dryer and some plyers and putty knife to get them off. Its easier to get new grips verse saving them.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Hahaha- I just finished answering this question on the ODSC forum.
Welcome to Canadian Dave's!

Phil

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
Sorry no Loretta Lynns for me man. I couldnt get anyone to roll with me and didnt want to go by myself. I am going to have to find more bike riding buddies and venture away from my trikes. Sounds like fun though..........peace

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…