Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes I am easily swayed by shiny things. :)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Speaking of shiny things

I managed to buy two bikes in the last week - my wife must be slipping a little bit........

I got a 1999 Honda CT110 and a 1999 KTM 400SXC (both high performance desert racers - the CT has an auxiliary fuel tank, and "Dakar" sticker kit!) all in the same week :ride:

So I went in an adventure ride on Saturday on the CT - had lots of fun too. It was a little bit underpowered until I accidentally removed the exhaust baffle, but then went like a rocket afterwards (well up to 40mph anyway). It was quite funny passing people as it sounded like a much bigger bike (loud but not intrusive), and most people on BMW 1150s didn't like getting passed by a CT - I could tell by the aggressive passing manouvers once we got back on flatter ground.

Still worthwile until my back gets better and I can ride trials properly again!

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Some photos of my new bikes....

You can see that they are both set up for desert racing - its just a pity that we don't have any deserts in NZ.

The CT is easier to start than the KTM, and has a more comfortable seat. :coocoo:

Attachments

• ct110gs.jpg
    ct110gs.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 179
  • ct110gs side.jpg
    ct110gs side.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 172
  • KTM 400sxc.jpg
    KTM 400sxc.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 168

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Whatddayamean no deserts? Are you going to Desert Storm at the end of the month or not?

Templtantrum has a house orgynised.

Yeah I've fallen off that CT before.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Cool Wayne! I like that Dakar 110 but what's this seat business?

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Gidday Dave

No Desert Storm is out for me - the wife's not too happy as I've been having too much FUN lately and she doesn't want things to get out of hand and for a pattern to emerge.......

You guys go ahead and enjoy yourselves though - I may manage to get out to the next chartity trail ride on the KTM though (I will have to buy more jewelery again).

Patman - yes the seat thing is a bit weird. It took me ages to figure out how to keep it under me - but it was worth the effort to try and master it finally. It is also definitely more comfortable than the Beta Rev3 hard vibrating plastic mudguard :ohmy:

By the way the 100GS is now geared for desert racing speeds - if you are very aero dynamic in your sitting position then it will now do 50mph for short periods (I didn't have the guts to try any extended high speed runs!), and will comfortably cruise at about 35-40mph. I do need to get a better jacket as it tends to balloon out at such high speeds....

Attachments

• wayne at high speed.jpg
    wayne at high speed.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 126

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Good idea, but the problem is gearing. At 50mph it is reving quite hard - I though something might melt! I do have the road gearing which will let it cruise at 50mph, but then 1st gear is way too high for decent off road hill climbs - so it seems I need a 13.5 tooth front sprocket.....or a smaller rear sprocket.

I also tried lying down flat with my head over the speedo, but that was 5mph slower than with my feet up on the crash bars. I also seemed to wobble quite a bit in that position too, but was much easier to control the wheelstands.

By the way I am NOT related to the Michelin man even if it looks like a genetic match in the photo!

Top Bottom