More Mainstream Press: Stewart/Woods Comparison

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
From Today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2005-11-29-stewart-motocross_x.htm

Stewart trying to live up to Tiger Woods comparison
By Amy Rosewater, Special for USA TODAY
While most 3-year-olds spend their time learning how to wheel around on tricycles, James Stewart Jr. spent his preschool days tooling around on motorcycles. His father, commonly known as "Big James," was a former motocross rider at local tracks, and he wanted to pass on his big wheels to his son.

James Stewart, right, races France's Stephane Roncada at the 2004 AMA Chevrolet Motocross Championship in Sacramento.
By Larry Lawrence, AP

The early teaching worked.

And the younger Stewart, who turns 20 on Dec. 21, has emerged as one of the biggest names in motocross racing. An African-American, Stewart has even been called "The Tiger Woods of Motocross."

But Stewart hasn't won his sport's version of the Masters yet. He made the jump last season from the 125 class to the 250, where top guns such as Ricky Carmichael and Chad Reed compete, and found it challenging to break in to the big time. (Related story: Carmichael ponders future jump to NASCAR)

2003 handout
Stewart

Now, with the 2006 opener, the Amp'd Mobile World Supercross GP, set for Saturday in Toronto, Stewart is hoping to prove that he can live up to the hype. And he'll be facing both Carmichael and Reed again. The AMA portion of the season begins Jan. 7.

"It's more pressure now," said Stewart in a telephone interview from his home in Haines City, Fla. "People expect me to win. There are greater expectations, and my job is make sure people believe."

There are 18 events in the Amp'd Mobile World Supercross GP, most of which are held in indoor arenas in the United States and Canada. Supercross tracks are man made with mounds of dirt — nearly 1.5 million pounds per event — and feature steep jumps and obstacles.

A standout in the 125 class, Stewart made a much-hyped debut in the 250 class in the 2005 season.

Supercross schedule

Dec. 3: Toronto
Dec. 10: Vancouver, British Columbia

Jan.7: Anaheim, Calif.

Jan. 14: Phoenix

Jan. 21: Anaheim

Jan. 28: San Francisco

Feb. 4: Anaheim

Feb. 11: San Diego

Feb. 18: St. Louis

Feb. 25: Atlanta

March 4: Indianapolis

March 10: Daytona Beach, Fla.

Forget that Carmichael had been the dominant rider for years. It seemed like all Stewart had to do was hop on his bike, and he'd be an instant success.

It didn't work out quite so easily.

Stewart broke his arm during a practice session in Phoenix, the second race of the 2005 season. After missing nine races (including the one in Phoenix), he returned in April in Orlando. He won the following race in Texas and earned two more 250 wins. Carmichael, meanwhile, captured his sixth title.

Despite having flashes of success, Stewart didn't match even his own expectations, since he was accustomed to dominating. In the 125 class, he racked up a record 47 victories and four titles. This past season, he was 10th in the points.

One rider who is hoping to see a more-competitive Stewart this season is none other than Carmichael. Having more top-notch competition helps keep the high-flying champ on top of his game.

"I'm pretty self motivated, and I take a lot of pride in what I do," Carmichael said. "But absolutely, the young guys keep me motivated. Every couple of years, it seems like there's a new guy, a new contender. ... James is going through some growing pains, but he's really talented."

Stewart has made a concerted effort to race at the top this season. He trains daily, riding on a supercross track — complete with lights — in his 65-acre backyard in Central Florida. Only a handful of riders have such quality racetracks at their own homes. (Carmichael, by the way, trains on a 100-acre personal training center about 20 minutes away from his home in Havana, Fla.)

"Every day I'm riding from 9:30 in the morning until about 4 in the afternoon," Stewart said.

"I get a little break for lunch, but that's about it."

Top Bottom