MotoKing_1990

Apr 10, 2007
I am planning to be a motorcycle tech. when I get out of high school and was wondering which is the best school to go to? I was thinking UTI in arizona.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
thats the old mmi isn't it?
i wanted to go there- its like 10 grand or something-a factory tech school
also theres a ami in florida- if they havent merged with uti yet-
good luck- your always going to learn something new-

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
do a different career, but fix your friends/relatives bikes as a hobby, make some good cash(that you dont have to pay tax on)

justme1

Feb 11, 2007
MotoKing_1990 said:
I am planning to be a motorcycle tech. when I get out of high school and was wondering which is the best school to go to? I was thinking UTI in arizona.
I have been there done that but without wasting $$ at a school. Back then That piece of paper did not really mean alot anyway. The guy who had the hands on for years got the job anyway. Unless you have someone else in your loop that will help support ya look at other options unless you have connections in the industry some how.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Time and time again I have heard from several mechanics saying it should be a hobby, not a career choice. I would choose something else because they make next to nothing. :yeehaw:

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
tiger woods caddy made a million dollars.. a million! for holding a bag and handing out sticks!

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
RedBull said:
tiger woods caddy made a million dollars.. a million! for holding a bag and handing out sticks!

wonder if he needs another caddy...
i dont know jack about golf but i can hand out sticks like a Mo-Fo

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I really thought I wanted to be a mechanic when I was in high school, as I was always very interested and adept at working on cars, bikes, boats,.... I kicked butt in power mechanics, metal, & wood shop classes as well as math. So I visited several technical schools and that fueled my desire even more. THEN a few things happened that made me decide that my interest needed to be for fun and not my vocation. Those things were first I ended up becoming friends with a guy that owned his own body shop, he told me to find something else if I didn't want to spend my life eating mac & cheese or hamburger helper. So that got me thinking. Then my mom asked the head mechanic at a large and succesful local shop if I could shadow him for a day or two. He said no problem so I spent 2 days watching what he did, asking questions and even helping out once I gained his confidence. I asked him what he thought and he said "Let me be completly black and white on this kid. Don't do it!" when I asked why he pointed to the crappy truck in the parking lot "That's what I drive. When you spend all day and night fixing other peoples vehicles you don't feel like working on your own. So I made other choices and I'm happy that I still enjoy working on things but I am equally happy that I can get paid well and surf DRN.

I have the greatest respect for guys like Eric, Rich & AJ and even am envious of them but I also know that they are the exception and not the rule.

trailrider822

Mar 14, 2007
well, one thing for sure, now that motorcycling in general is more popular than ever, we will need more mechanics that can specialize in the problems that a lot of bike owners may be stumped on. I back you up on your decision, motoking, and i hope to get into motorcycle mechanics soon myself. a couple friends of mine are helping me with some of that, and once i learn from them, i will take it from there. There should be websites for motorcycle mechanics that will list schools, i would research them and see what would work for you. good luck.

MotoKing_1990

Apr 10, 2007
I was told by my local mechanic that there is money in it if you know what you are doing. Every time Im in there he is working on something, I job shadowed him for school once and he makes about $30 an hour. He also said that if I do go to school for it and open my own shop to go somewhere where there are alot of riders and no shop nearby, becuase he has the only shop around here that know what they are doing, besides Thompsons Motorsports "Honda" which sells bikes and Their mechanics rip people off and are not very good. The guy up here also sells KTMs would be a big part of it?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts....
I guess at this point $30 might seem like a lot but I'm sure his experience level has a bit to do with that, he didn't just jump in and make that amount. Since he's so sure you can make the big bucks doing your own thing and he has the plan why isn't HE doing it? Also do you know what it takes to open and run your own shop? If you do that will you actually be doing mechanic work or running the business? Not trying to shoot down your dreams but having a plan is a much better way to be successful than having a dream.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom