Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
What on a motorcycle title will keep it from being registered w/ the dmv(New Jersey)? I know that "off highway/off road use only" will, but what about if it says "ORV" in the body type? The reason i ask this is because im looking at a bike and the title does not say anything like "off road use only", but it says ORV in the body type. The bike is a crf 450 so i know it should not have a clear title, but this one seems to have one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Best place to start is with a state inspector at a shop that does bikes. Might not be the answer you want but will be an honest answer.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Start by checking the NJ DMV website. Then plainly ask your question. That's how I got the procedures for titling my '92 WR500 in Michigan. This is sort of how I stated it:

"I have an old farm bike that I have restored which I want to use on the Michigan motorcycle trail system. It has never been used on Michigan except on private property and thus the title has been lost over the years. I wish to convert it to dual-sport status so that I can drive between trailheads in a legal fashion. What is the procedure for obtaining its title, then converting it so that it might be registered for use on Michigan (New Jersey) roads? "

The Michigan Secretary of state returned me a step-by-step procedure for doing that very thing and now I have a legal street title for this former motocross bike. Perhaps New Jersey has a similarly sympathetic counterpart.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Some states break down the type of off road machines by category. Both of my bikes are titled in Iowa as "ATV", which falls in the category of off road use only (along with snowmobiles and boats). These titles are not in any way associated with the DMV, but with the county I lived in. I would think that to have it titled through the DMV, it would have to be street legal based on the requirements of your DMV.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom