Mountain Lion Trouble!!!

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001

At 256 lb, that would be a record cat. Colorado record is 220 lbs. Boone and Crockett.

http://www.dnr.state.co.us/news/press.asp?pressid=2081

It is indeed a shame to kill such an animal. But I wouldn't want it eating my kids either.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Mtn. Lions/Cougars are dangerous. They are known to drag off kids and jump joggers all the time. I know a couple years ago in Kali they had outlawed hunting Mtn. Lions and in a short time they were having serious problems with kids and joggers being attacked.

I like the Night Vision Idea. The cat will be back, it will not be able resist the buffet. Take care of it when it comes back and then get yourself a couple dogs to prevent this from happening again......

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Mountain Lion Trouble again!

Reading the homepage about Mark Reynolds being killed earlier this month. How ironic, my mountain lion came back last week & killed 4 of my Barbados. Three young ones & one mature female. The game warden told me if I was going to try & kill it to use a shot gun(pump or auto). Put as many shells in it as it would hold and if I shot at it to empty the shot gun.
So now I have decided to try & get me a llama. The game warden said it is the best thing to protect livestock. He also said that the Great Perinese(sp) dog would not take on a mountain lion. I am bringing them up at night & pinning them up with my dog & chickens under a guard light close to the house. The shotgun is next to the door with a flashlight taped to it. Where the light shines is where the lead is going.
This makes 19 Barbados lost to this lion. Only have 6 left. Hope I can get the lion before it wipes me completly out.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Why a shotgun? Is it because they typically come around at night? Personally, I would use this as a justification for buying some new night vision goggles and loading up the .308. Good luck.

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I have always wondered why my neighbor has those llamas. Now tell me why he has an ostrich. :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Night vision goggles, and lots of coffee!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
So why wouldn't a mountain lion attack a llama? Are they really that big and aggressive?

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
IF you see the cat, it will be moving. The chances of getting a high power (308) onto it, and holding a lead, in the dark, are piss poor odds. A shotgun with SSG or 00 Buckshot will put nine 30 cal pellets out the end with every shot. At 50 yards, it should punch a pattern over 24" in diameter.

When we go camping, I use a short, pistol grip, mossberg 3" magnum pump for a t/p holder.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Interesting dilemna. Surely there's a dog that can give a mountain lion a run for its money, or at least hold it up for a while until you can get a barrel on it? Pit Bull? Rotty?

And I'm no hunter, but would throw out the thought of using a semi auto assault rifle. Many, many on here know a ton about guns, but I wonder how one of those AR-15's (M-16 clone, eg Bushmaster, etc.?) or one of the American made AK-47 clones would do.

Now don't make fun of me guys and gals (Diane :) ), I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm with Neprhon. A Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle might be a cheaper option than an AR-15, but like Neil said, when you see that cat, he's not gonna be hanging around. Find a shotgun that will take 3- or 3.5-inch shells, load up on the 00 buck, and pump away at 'em as fast as you can cycle it.

I'm betting you have the same cat, since it's probably good eatin' around there.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
When it comes to killing at short range, a shotgun is THE tool of choice.

I recall reading a book by a big game hunter name of Capstick. He would go into thick brush looking for leopard. He wrote of using a model 16 (or was it 14?) twelve gauge loaded with #4 buckshot. I think it would hold nine shells. The #4 worked at extreme close range, and was better suited to his purposes than double ought.

For a little longer range (highly recommended!), perhaps 00 would serve better.

Of course, for long shots, a rifle is the only option.

The model of shotgun that he was speaking of is a pump action, that would fire when the action worked. The trigger could be held down and the pump would be "shucked". Maybe they are referred to as a "riot gun". Or "street sweeper".

Anyway, I don't think they are being made anymore.

I know there are dogs used for hunting cats, but their job is to tree the cat until the hunter shows up. I don't believe a dog alive would have any chance whatsoever in an actual fight with a big cat. Maybe a pack of dogs would fare better.

Come to think of it; I have a housecat that has whipped just about every dog in the neighborhood. :laugh:

There is a video somewhere on the web of an African lion hunt that went badly. If you can find it; check it out. Hold on to your chair!

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Yep, that is the one. I saw a write-up on the video, the lion was killing livestock, was darted and brought to a refuge. There it killed every other lion that it came in contact with, and had to be brought down.

I wonder how many of the hunters needed an underwear change after that. I 'bout dropped a load just watching the clip!

Thanks Smit, I had it saved on my box, but couldn't find the link anywhere.

ConqSoft

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004

We had a long discussion on this video on my site too.

I don't buy that explanation. If this were the case, they could have simply darted it again and killed it humanely once it was knocked out. This was obviously an inexperienced hunter who appeared to have paid to have the opportunity to "hunt" this lion in a confined area. Myself, I wish the hunter had lost his head in the attack.

Last edited:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I hate to think it was a "canned" hunt, I really want to believe the explanation that I advanced.

But who knows.

If the lion had not been quite so badly shot up, perhaps you would have been granted your wish! He just barely missed the guy.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
If you've done much hunting, you gain a lot of respect for animals, and their outright toughness. Once an animal is in motion, or spooked, it takes an awful lot to knock them down. For example, I've hit a whitetail, at a dead run, with three consecutive rounds through the boiler, at less than 30 yards range. I thought I missed him. My hunting partner was watching from a different angle, and he saw the shots exiting. The deer ran for another 60 yards before going to ground. These were hits with a 308 running 168 gr Balistic Silvertips.
I wouldn't use a rifle on a dangerous preditor.
Too small a projectile.
Too much accuracy required (in the heat of battle),
Handgun??? I'd rather take my chances throwing it at the critter.
A shotgun makes a great big hole, and gets easier and easier to use as the range closes. At close range, it doesn't spit out pellets, it spits a mass of lead that delivers an incredible punch.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
great danes were breed to take down african lions, those dogs are HUGE, i used to ride around on them when i was 3 like they were horses... i agree about using the shotgun, but chances are that you will need some night vision goggles and go on a stakeout before you catch anything...

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I've seen that too but haven't heard that explanation. Doesn't make any sense, I don't think they'd be high fiving if it was a had-to-kill deal. Should have got his head taken off, that's not hunting :|

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
were the great danes and rhodesian ridgebacks bred to actually take down the animal, corner it, or take it down after its been wounded? i realize they would have to work in packs as the great danes are big dogs but couldn't take down a lion on their own, but have always wondered this.

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
I think part of the reason the warden suggested a shotgun is that there are lots of houses arround. The places here range from 1-6 acre tracts, but very wooded. There was a mountain lion killed last year north of here near Ft. Worth that weighed right at 250 lbs. I don't think there is any kind of dog that would survive more than a few seconds with something like that.
The lake I live near here is a Corp of Engineers lake, so there are no private land along the shoreline. There are a lot of cliff along this part of the lake. I am sure that it is a female with kits. She probably has a den somewhere in these cliffs. The game warden suspects the same. They are keeping it very quite here. You will not see anything about the attacks in the media. I just hope it doesn't decide to take one of the small children that live in the area.
As far as the attacks on my animals, they all have happened at night. I was woke up during the first one(arround 2:00 in the morning), but never saw the cat, just dead animals. At that time I had some very young barbados,some just 2 or 3 days old. Some of them I never found traces of. They were totally eaten.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Ever think about "live" trapping it? I'm not sure if it's even possible. But hey you could sleep @ night.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…