Mr. Bush is working on our side for 2 strokers

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Ford-PSD
Hey Guys, I just posted this for information purposes, not for the intent for any type of bashing.

No worries Ford, a little healthy debate is a good thing as long as its not a personal thing. Debating issues like this raises awareness and hopefully we will all learn something. If it motivates somebody to get more involved then its worth it.

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
Rooster,

Thanks for the info. I've never ridden a snowmobile and can't wait to. It seems as if the OHV world is moving towards 4-strokes anyway. But, with the amount of technology around, I wouldn't be surprised if we see tiny converters on snowmobiles. (probably jet skiis too)

One question though... Are the performance sleds considered competition use only? I'm guess that's how MX 2-stroke dirt bikes will get around EPA rules.

In any case, for most of the public, I'm pretty sure their main concern is noise.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Currently all sleds are regarded as recreational. The "competition only" issue I am sure will ensue as it has for our dirt bikes. I'm sure that they will continue to manufacture the two-stroke competition sleds, however, as technology advances, I see the thumpers catching on quite fast.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey Rooster, anybody in your area riding the Yamaha four-stroke? None of the guys here will touch it. Too heavy, yada yada. And the Arctic Cat one doesn't even try to be performance oriented, it's just a tourer, so they curl their lip at that one too.

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
Doesn't yamaha have an R1 engine based sled?

Is that the one that is too heavy, etc?

Maybe I'm thinking about an R1 based watercraft... I'm probably
losing it. :aj:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
fc22 - I don't know of anyone in my little microcosm of riders that have the me Yami. I personally don't care about the weight issue. When you step of a dirt bike onto a sled, they are ALL way too heavy! :eek: :) I'm sure someone with the deep pockets will buy one once we get a good snow. I'll let you know what they think, if they do.

john- yes, Yamaha has crammed an R1 into their new sled design. Very cool. Check out http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo.asp?lid=6&lc=sno&cid=26&mid=177

You're not losing it!!

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
That RX1 looks awesome.

Is that sled the biggest and the baddest?

I've never ridden a sled, but hope to take a trip to Michigan this
winter for riding with a friend.

It never snows in MD where I live. = :(

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm not up on other brands, but I would like to see some charts comparing the RX-1 to some of the other monster sleds. Arctic Crap...er...I mean Artic Cat :) had a Thunder cat that was, I believe either 1000 or 1100 cc two stroke. I guess the thing was a true widow maker of a sled, capable of some ungodly and just plain idiotic acceleration and top speeds. The true monsters are the hopped up turbocharged, nitrous aftermarket sleds. You need to be careful on those, sometimes you get going so fast, you start to see dinosaurs and have to turn around and go back the other direction. :eek:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Wasn't the Thunder Cat a triple though? None of the guys here will touch a triple except one guy who was building 1800s.

My ex was into Polaris--he had a stock 440 and a mod 726 Pro-X for snowcross (he was on the factory race team so he could get the race-only sleds through some kind of support deal) and his hillclimber was another Pro-X w/159 long track 2 3/4 paddle, 925 PSI w/nitrous. He was going to let me ride it. Shoulda kept him for a little while . . . nah, maybe not.

I just hate the thumb throttle, why can't they have a twist throttle?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yeah, very few people here mess with the triples either. The way I see it is it's one more cylinder to have to rebuild every year, or worse, one more cylinder to shred. Twins are enough of a pain as it is.

Mines a bone stock 700 Renegade, and that's all I need as spastic as I ride.... :eek: I think you were right by not keeping your b/f around. ;)

There are aftermarket twist throttles for sleds. I plan on installing one this year, my hand gets so cramped I can hardly hang on.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Extra work, extra weight, too much hassle, it makes sense to me.

Actually I was looking forward to riding this year (probably not on the hillclimber, just on the 440 Pro-X w/a 136) but it certainly wasn't worth everything else so oh well. I will have to tag along with someone else who has a spare sled.

Twist throttles would DEFINITELY improve those things. My thumb would get so sore, and I thought it was me doing something wrong!

JUSTRIDE415

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
I rode a pro-x 440 last year can u say SWEEt i love snow cross. The RX-1 is the biggest and probably not the baddest i like the REV 600HO

Top Bottom