riderdadof4

Dec 30, 2005
1. 98 kx 60: connecting rod play at crank, crank discolored, piston scored, water in oil( light grey and milky). with the discoloring does crank need replacing or just rod bearings? also with the water issure should I rebuild whole motor? what are the possible ways water got into crank to begin with head gasket? others?
2. 81 it 175 smokes bad! compression tests out good, tons of powere still. friend suggested running less oil in premix fig this a bad idea! top end rebuild?
3. 94 rm 250 sat for over a year before i bought it, needle seat/floats keep sticking even after dumping out all old gas and cleaned carb! black gummy substance! in tank?? petcock? how to clean out plastic tank b-12? diesel?
4.84 xr 200 ticking sound from head sounds like a v-8 misadjusted valve lash. no book! never been into this one with a wrench! do these have valves or lifters above piston?
5 not dirt bike but i'll try anyways, 00 yzf 600 ran fine till fuel line came off while riding, fixed line now won't start? has spark. crankcase had fuel smell when stuck nose to fill opening.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
riderdadof4 said:
1. 98 kx 60: connecting rod play at crank, crank discolored, piston scored, water in oil( light grey and milky). with the discoloring does crank need replacing or just rod bearings? also with the water issure should I rebuild whole motor? what are the possible ways water got into crank to begin with head gasket? others? -no need to replace crank but check to see if main bearings are bad (rough/hard to turn crank by hand). but you will more than likely need to do a rod kit so while your there replace the mains also. water more than likely came from a bad head gasket which in turn heated up crank etc. do a complete top end gasket kit along with the rod kit. might also want to lap in the head to make sure its not warped.also sounds like the crank seals are toast now also and that allowed the water from the head gasket to enter into the clutch side and mix with trans oil. do a top end,rod kit,crank seals,trans oil,main bearings
2. 81 it 175 smokes bad! compression tests out good, tons of powere still. friend suggested running less oil in premix fig this a bad idea! top end rebuild? -could be a bad crank seal on clutch side or maybe the seal between the cases/crankcase is leaking/sucking tranny fluid into the cylinder. what are you running for pre-mix now ? 32:1 ?
3. 94 rm 250 sat for over a year before i bought it, needle seat/floats keep sticking even after dumping out all old gas and cleaned carb! black gummy substance! in tank?? petcock? how to clean out plastic tank b-12? diesel? -could be varnished gas your seeing in the tank. def. pull the carb and do a soaking after complete TEAR DOWN in B-12 CHEMTOOL (leave in over night). not sure what would clean out the tank since its plastic.
4.84 xr 200 ticking sound from head sounds like a v-8 misadjusted valve lash. no book! never been into this one with a wrench! do these have valves or lifters above piston?. - these bikes have a screw/locknut adjustment setup. really easy to adjust. pull the tank and remove the small round plugs in the valve cover. you will see the screw/locknut. put motor on TDC and adjust to spec w/ feeler guages. they make tools to make this job easier (motion pro etc., most bike shops will have the tool and feeler guage ya need) yes these are 4-stroke motor so they have valves and cams
good luck

5 not dirt bike but i'll try anyways, 00 yzf 600 ran fine till fuel line came off while riding, fixed line now won't start? has spark. crankcase had fuel smell when stuck nose to fill opening -sounds like it may have sucked some dirt when the hose came off which in turn caused the floats to stick causing it to flood the engine.
clean carb (blow on fuel line while opening/closing needle with floats by hand and make sure it seals),replace oil/filter

riderdadof4

Dec 30, 2005
thanks for the reply! yes 32-1 was using valvoline but going to switch after reading other threads on here. anybody have any good parts web sites besides dennis kirk, chaperal, jc whitney.

riderdadof4

Dec 30, 2005
1. 98 kx 60: UPDATE: took it over to buddy's house last night he said rod kit/piston kit/ crank bearings-seals/ water pump seals and change my premix!!!!!! nice call QKENUF4U 4 for 5 except he said water in oil was water pump seals not head $@# good diagnosis over the internet!!!!

riderdadof4

Dec 30, 2005
ya got it fig out! now just gotta spend 2-3 bills on a $600 bike that my kid rode for only like 5 hours. 2 days after i gave it to him for christmas :(

Top Bottom