MX Bike Insurance..... Got any?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Here in Michigan, each and every insured motor vehicle (dirt bikes included!) get assessed $100 per year above and beyond the regular insurance premium. This assessment is used to fund the MCCA, Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association. Funds from the MCCA are used to cover (duh) catastrophic claims, as Michigan (the only state in the U.S.) has an unlimited claim dollar amount!

... And State Farm tacks on an additional $12 "administration fee" on top of each $100 MCCA assessment.

2 bikes and 2 cars... you're talking an extra assesment of $448 per year.

:flame:

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i hadn't even thought about insuring my bike because i thought it was covered by homeowners but it isn't. i found out the hard way and had my bike stolen in may. whats a bitch is that if i had hooked my trailer up to our truck the night before instead of planning to do it the morning of the race it would have been covered by auto insurance. here it is now almost december and im still bikeless so it is definetely worth it.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Funny, my State Farm agent said "no". Maybe it varies by state. :think:

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
My bikes are insured under my house insurance. They are insured by value, and liability. No real consideration that they are OHVs, other than the liability.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I have a seperate policy for my newer bike (02 RM250), but I don't have a seperate policy for my old bike, so it might be covered under my home owners. What state do you live in Senior KX.

TrailDale

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 1999
Progressive has additional multi-bike discounts and really cheap rates for dirt bikes. The more bikes, the greater the overall premium discount on all of them. The premium dropped on all the bikes when I added a 4th bike (XR70) and was actually cheaper in total than what I was paying for 3 bikes!
A YZ250F cost $74 a year for comprehensive and includes collision with a $100 deductable. $14 for an XR50 is about right.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Senior - Looking to get the real deal on this homeowners coverage with State Farm, I again asked my State Farm agent about it. He emphatically stated that a State Farm homeowner's policy would not cover theft/fire/damage of a dirt bike. Although he did say that some insurance coverages will vary by state, he was also pretty sure that a S.F. homeowners policy would not cover a dirt bike in other states.

So, to find out if S.F. homeowners coverage is different in Indiana, I sent an e-mail to an agent there. This is his response:

You might want to interrogate your agent again just to be sure. Get it in writing in case you need to file a claim.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
OUCH! I just checked Progressive for the minimum coverage I could get for:
  • 04 CRF450
  • 03 CRF450
  • 02 XR50
  • 00 YZ250
...and they said $787 a year with $250 deductible. Going to $500 deductible only saved $17 a year and dropping the 00 YZ off only saved $73.

Looks like I have some more shopping to do. :(

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
We have USAA auto insurance. They don't write OHV policies directly, they merely act as an agent for Progressive.

We have State Farm for the house and they have that pesky little condition about cancelling / invalidating your policy if you race.

It's looking like I'll have to go with Progressive.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…