MX Bikes Bad For Honda???

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
well people should use there brain ,and put a kid thats old enough,and stong enough to ride on them-
a bicycle can kill as well-
tripping in a hole-could break bones,or possibly kill-
a parent should be a Parent,and still know that things happen,
there is power through prayer people-
theres nothing like a childs smile,when they get a new bike,atv ect......
or there first trophy-lol
so honda is suppose to suffer for keeping us happy???
WELL IF HONDA WANTS US TO BE HAPPY -(LOWER YOUR PRICES)!!!
THANKS TO ALL THE MANUFACTURERS FO YOUR SUPPORT ,AND PRODUCTS-----

please don't bow down like you did on the 3 wheelers!!
thanks again----Jason

cancanman

Feb 6, 2005
kawicam250 said:
when the AMA publicly opened their final report on the discussion of the "Fair CC class" rule, they closed down all forms of communication with them, except for the suggestion board, same thing :nod: .
its funny that you mentioned that because i have emailed them numerous times including the cc rules, and i have never received an email back from them.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I get tired of people trying to save me from myself. Life in and of itself is dangerous so you might as well enjoy it.

Steve

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I am tired of the Nanny State. I wanna smoke cigarettes, own a pit bull, throw my beer cans in my yard, collect junk in my garage, put a car up on blocks in the driveway, eat all the deep fried foods I want. What is it with these people these days. Can't we make our own choices concerning our own lives?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Old thread.

But, Honda made motorcycles LONG before they made cars.

Look up how many cheerleaders auger themselves. :yikes: Might be a new market for the Leatt brace. :nod:

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
yeah therye ya go look at the old people that slip or trip walking.might we buy a little bubble for them?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
cr85re said:
yeah therye ya go look at the old people that slip or trip walking.might we buy a little bubble for them?

Yeah! Damn those old people. :yell: *

Always falling down and getting in the way. Can't walk fast enough, can't even drive fast enough to get out of your way. :bang:

We should just grind 'em all up and eat 'em. We could call it 'Codgers 'n bits' or sumthin like that. Or, maybe Soilent Green. Yeah, Soilent Green, that sounds yummy. Green is the new catch word. It's gotta sell. :nod:

cr85re. Send down your grandparents, we'll see how they taste. :debil:

* Facticitious mode OFF. ;)

joey26

Apr 16, 2002
This is good. If honda really wanted to lower motorcycle accidents they would limit the speed on the crotch rockets. I highly doubt that honda would give up all the small bike sales just to slightly increase their saftey ratings.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
um.where do i send them?lol my grandparents drive fast.my grandma got pulled over goin 72 in a 55.lol.and my grandpa just goes in the country to go fast in his trans-am.

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
I can understand his ignorance of off road motorcycle racing. I even expect people like him to broadcast their uniformed opinions as if they are fact.

What I cant figure out is how a writer for Fortune Magazine would say that Kawasaki is primarily a motorcycle manufacturer. Search Kawasaki heavy industries.

Does he know Yamaha is the world third largest producer of musical instiments.

According to wikipedia Suzuki sold over 100,000 cars in the USA in 2006 and their largest subsidiary is an Indian auto manufacturer.
Somebody at Fortune should have known this.

bucky63

Apr 11, 2007
Here is the CDC source used in the article...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5522a1.htm#tab2

Intresting quotes...

Quote 1

During 2001--2004, an estimated 23,800 (32.6 per 100,000 population) children and teens aged <19 years were treated at U.S. EDs for off-road motorcycle injuries each year (Table 1). The injury rate increased 33.7%, from 26.4 per 100,000 population in 2001 to 35.3 in 2004; however, this difference was not statistically significant (p = 0.31). Patients aged 12--15 years had the highest nonfatal injury rate (62.1 per 100,000). Patients aged <16 years accounted for 69.9% of those injured; 88.4% of those injured were males, and 97.1% were driving the motorcycle. Overall, 7.5% of those injured were hospitalized.

By location, 20.0% of the injuries occurred in motocross areas, and 70.2% of those injured were reported as riding dirt bikes/trail bikes when they incurred their injuries. Those injured in motocross areas were more likely to be hospitalized than those injured in other off-road locations (14.9% versus 5.6%; p = 0.01). According to the narratives abstracted from ED charts, 8.9% of the injuries were sustained during a motorcycle jump, and 5.3% resulted from hitting another motorcycle or other off-road vehicle. Among jump-related injuries, 74.3% occurred in a motocross area.

Quote 2

This report characterizes nonfatal injuries from off-road riding of all types of motorcycles during 2001--2004. Motorcycles that are designed specifically for off-road riding (commonly referred to as dirt bikes or trail bikes) are increasing in popularity in the United States. Approximately 300,000 off-road motorcycles were sold in the United States during 2003, nearly twice the sales figure for 1999. The activity is most popular among persons who are male, aged <30 years, white, residents of nonmetropolitan areas, and have less than a college education (4).

Quote 3

Off-road motorcycle riding, like operating motor vehicles on roadways, requires physical skills and judgment that children and young teens do not possess. In 2000, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that parents not allow children and teens aged <16 years to ride off-road motorcycles or ATVs and that states prohibit the use of such vehicles by children and teens in that age group (5). Studies of ATV use indicate that state laws with age restrictions for off-road vehicle use can be effective in decreasing the proportion of riders under the minimum age and that requiring riders of off-road vehicles to wear helmets can reduce the risk for fatal injury (7,8). However, only 19 states require off-road motorcyclists aged <18 years to wear helmets, and only eight states† set minimum ages (range: 8--14 years) for operation of off-road motorcycles, according to the American Motorcycle Association (9).

bucky63

Apr 11, 2007
Here is the copy of the original article.

Is Honda really the 'safety' company?

Marketing dirt-bikes to kids undercuts Honda's goody-goody image, says Fortune Alex Taylor.

By Alex Taylor III, Fortune senior editor
April 2 2007: 10:22 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- According to last Friday's New York Times, Honda is aiming to be known as the safety company. Honda, says the Times,"is promoting safety as an essential part of its public image" and "wants to join Volvo as an automaker best known for safety."
If cars alone are the criteria, Honda (Charts) certainly qualifies. It loads up its vehicles with airbags and antilock brakes, and wins high marks from government and independent rating agencies for crash protection. But Honda doesn't make just cars. It also produces lawn mowers, outboard motors, jet skis, and on-road and off-road motorcycles.
Sales of off-road motorcycles - more popularly known as dirt bikes or trail bikes - are soaring, more than doubling since 1999 to 318,000 in 2005. Among the major players, only Honda is a big factor in autos. The others - Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki - are primarily motorcycle manufacturers.
Honda makes eight dirt-bike models ranging in size from 50 cc to 450 and explicitly markets them to children. It figures that "the youngest riders in the family, those about 6 years old" are just the right age to cut their teeth on a 50 cc bike. Their feet can touch the ground when they are seated and they are coordinated enough to operate the automatic clutch. Riders "a year or two older" are deemed ideal customers for the 70 cc bike. The 80 cc version "is designed specifically for young learners" and "offers the next logical step up." And so on.
Put a child or young teen on a motorbike and guess what happens? The same thing that is always happening to children and teenagers: They have accidents. Thousands of them. The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which collects data on emergency room visits by off-road bikers, counted 67,609 in 2005. Nearly half of the visits - 27,525 - were by children 16 years and younger. These were more than bumps and bruises. More than one-third of the cases involve fractures and internal injuries.
Deaths are rare but they can occur. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 13 off-road motorcycle riders below the age of 20 died in off-road accidents in 2003. Is it any wonder that the CDC says "Motorcycle crashes are a substantial public health problem for children and teens."
What's Honda doing about this? It publishes brochures on safe riding, urges bikers to take lessons, and encourages the wearing of protective gear, including helmets, goggles, boots, and elbow and knee pads. How effective all this is unclear. Off-road riders are not licensed so there is no requirement that they comply. And given the number of helmetless adult riders seen in non-helmet states like Connecticut, it isn't hard to imagine young off-roaders following their example by going helmetless too.
Honda positions dirt-bikes as a fun-for-the-whole-family sport. It pictures young bikers riding behind their parents in neat lines at slow speeds. But having Mom and Dad along for the ride gets old after awhile, and parents aren't always available when Junior wants to saddle up. Besides, they would probably frown on efforts to imitate the motocross racers on TV by flying off of jumps and rounding corners with one foot skidding on the dirt.
So what's going to keep young motorbike riders out of the ER? The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents not allow children to ride motorcycles until they reach the age of 16 and that all riders wear helmets. That would be a start. A more modest measure would be for Honda and other manufacturers to stop marketing motorcycles for children by limiting the size of the bikes they sell to over 250 cc.
There is a precedent for manufacturers to exercise restraint. In 1987 Honda and other makers reached a consent decree with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to stop selling little three-wheel all-terrain vehicles known as ATVs, which are even more dangerous than dirt bikes. If Honda really wants to be known as the safety company, it should do something like that with its kiddie motorcycles too.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
How about these sports......

Bicycling - In 1998, more than 320,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries. In addition, 225 children and adolescents ages 14 and under died in bicycle-related crashes in 1997.

Football - In 1998, more than 159,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for football-related injuries.

Gymnastics - In 1998, nearly 25,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for gymnastics-related injuries. Among girls' sports, gymnastics has one of the highest injury rates, increasing with the level of competition.

Ice Hockey - According to a study published in the journal Pediatrics, over 18,000 young people under the age of 18 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for ice hockey-related injuries in 2001-2002.

Ice Skating - Nearly 10,600 children ages five to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for ice skating-related injuries.

In-line skating/roller skating - Nearly 27,200 children ages five to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for roller-skating-related injuries.

Skateboarding - In 1998, more than 27,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for skateboarding-related injuries.

Sledding - In 1998, nearly 8,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for sledding-related injuries.

Snow skiing/snowboarding - In 1997, more than 13,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for snow skiing-related injuries. Another 9,000 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for snowboarding-related injuries.

Soccer - In 1998, more than 77,500 children and adolescents ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for soccer-related injuries.

Trampolines - Nearly 80,000 children ages 14 and under were treated in hospital emergency rooms for trampoline-related injuries.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
a bunch of jackas$es that dont realize someone could get killed on roller skates,or just walking-

who's to blame if some desk jockey breaks there fingernail and died from it???
ford? - huffy? toyota?- hahaha
safety is a issue in everything- but honda ,and the other bikes are good products-

-- so if i borrow his money clip- and walk in front of a car (while looking down at it) ,and get hit- is it his fault or mine?---lol

- nothing to do with this perticularly --- (but in a sense who do we pass the blame on)-???

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I say if they are going to take out the mini's, they should make the 250's and up cheaper. like drop $1000 dollars

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
RM85rider123 said:
I say if they are going to take out the mini's, they should make the 250's and up cheaper. like drop $1000 dollars
:coocoo:

Fire that suggestion off to Honda. They might need a good laugh.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
RM_guy said:
I do believe Mr. Alex Taylor III has something against dirt bikes!!! What a dink :p

id say so....

yea, what about streetbike? that guy need a life, or better yet something worth while to write about. i love the line round corners with one foot skidding on the ground. what a joke. i dislike people like that. there totally ignorant to the sport. how would one that is clearly ignorant to the sport pass judgment and try to put facts down for everyone to read.... when they clearly have no idea of what its about.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…