MX Class Breakdown?

bike5

Aug 19, 2000
I received this e-mail and I was wondering if there is a webpage that explains this.

"As a mom with a 6 yr. old fascinated with dirt bikes, I broke down and
bought him a CRF 50 for Christmas. Now, he wants to race. We went to
Bremen Race Park here in Georgia and observed. However, I am not familiar
with all the different classes. Do you have a list that breaks down the
classes? i.e, 250a, 250b, etc. I am so confused. Also, what is the
difference in a 50cc 5-7 yr. old and a 50cc open? Thanks!"

I could type somthing out but I wondered if there is a list like this already made in detail? Or if anyone can answer this with a short and clean message please post it because when I try to explain stuff it gets drawn out and all messy, plus theres a few things I am not even really certain about like the 50cc open, since open means any bike size (but since it says 50cc) does it mean any rider age, bike mods., rider levels?? Any help on how to help her would be great.

Thanks. I will also tell her about these forums :)

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The problem is that sometimes it means different things at different tracks. Locally, a 50 "open" class mean any 50cc bike, with a rider between the ages of 4-8. Our local tracks used to have only one 50cc "open" class. Now some have as many as 4 classes and sometimes even 5.
The introduction of the Cobra and KTM high powered 50's really changed the face of 50cc racing. My suggestion would be to find a track that offers what we call a "fun 50" class. These encompass the pw 50, xr 50, jr 50 and the KTM Adventure 50. Basically, it is a class for glorified trail bike type 50's. If you venture of into the 50 jr. 50sr. or 50 open, those are where the Cobras, KTM's , Piolinis and LEM's compete. Good luck.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…