MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
I was going to pick out some MX handguards (not wrap-around) for myself, KX250, and my son, KX85. We both have Pro-Taper bars and ASV brake & clutch levers.

It seemed that most or all of the handguards I looked at said they only fit with the OEM levers.

For instance, the Acerbis levers say, "Mounts to the stock front brake and stock clutch perches, does not work with any aftermarket clutch perch."

Can someone who knows about handguards tell me what handguards will work with our set-up? Or, am I out of luck?

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I'm not sure why they don't work but any handguards that mount to the bars and not the perch will fit no prob. Try looking at different types that mount on bars only.

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
Factory 909 Roost guards are the only ones I found that will work with the ASV levers (there may be others). They come with brackets and different perch bolts.

I use them on my 02 KX 250 and 03 KDX 200 with Renthal bars.

I got them from Chaparral motor sports in San Bernardino CA.

$29.00 + tax

I had to bend two of the brackets alittle to fit better, other than that they do a good job and I'd buy them again.

http://www.factory909.com/909Catalog.pdf

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/homepage.asp?URLCheck=1

MarkSims

Feb 9, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion, Junkyard. I looked at the 909's and I like them.

Do you have the F1 or C5 ASV clutch lever? I have the C5 and the perch installs on the bar with the bolts vertical - rather than horizontal like OEM. So I'm still hesitant about whether the 909's will bolt up.

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
Hey MarkSims,

I am using the C/5 (5) year guar. levers and perch, the bolts are vertical.

I looked at mine and 2 things I had to change,

1: The clutch side pivot bolt, it wasn't long enough?? (Could have been boxed wrong).
2: The master cylinder rubber boot had to be moved.

Clutch side mount I had to stack 2 of the shorter black plastic stands to get the right distance from the bars. Universal stuff.

Roostguards: RSTGRD KX125/250 99-02 white
327 090351

Both of these numbers were on the box.

Top Bottom