Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That's a perfect question to ask the folks at MX-Tech directly.

MX-TECH Suspensions
Jeremy Wilkey - Founder MX-TECH Inc. 1992

office@mx-tech.com

4136 W. 6940 N. Rd
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
Toll Free #: 877-850-5114
Fax: 815-936-9913

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chances are good that a re-valve is just that a re-valve, not a re-spring. But checking with Jeremy and his crew is the best way to know for sure and get a few more details on the costs involved.

Last edited:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Just picked up my suspension for the RMZ an hour ago at MX Tech's west location here in the Phoenix area.

The answer is no.

Jeremy did the suspension on my CR500AF back in 2005 and it's perfect. Based on that I decided to let him have a shot at the RMZ I recently bought.

If your thinking about re valving the RMZ in your profile you might be interested to know that they just finished more testing on RMZ set ups. I'm looking forward to putting in some laps on mine this weekend.

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
the chances of me getting of me getting my suspension revalved is slim to none. my dad will barely pay for my gas and spark plugs. id have to save up for 1 year based on my 30 dollars a month allowance. my dad wont let me get a job. im prob gonna ask to get it revalved as a birthday present but since im turning 16 im prob gonna get a truck. maybe if i ask for an extra cheap truck he'll budge. tuning my stock suspension seems like the best bet if i can convince my dad that i know what im doing. oh btw my bikes an RM not RMZ

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Sorry Dude...

Probably the same fork model with different valving for the extra weight on the RMZ's.

I feel your pain, at 16 I had to choose between a truck or continue racing. I picked the truck and got a job. I started racing again but on my own dime.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
That is way to broad of a question.

My suspension would buck your little butt right off. Your stock stuff would bottom with my big butt riding it.

There are so many variables. As a sixteen year old of average size and weight I would think your springs are in the ball park. Your valving would be appropriate for your springs. You can make adjustments in accordance with your manual based on your riding conditions.

From your bio I see that your near Clarksburg. Mt. Morris is 45 minutes north of you so I would guess that your soil and terrain is similar. If so your a lucky kid. Mt. Morris rocks!

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
yeah its about an hour away. ive never been there though. im not really average size i guess. i weigh about 130 and im 5'7. my stock springs are sprung for 190 pounds i think is what the thing on mx tech said

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Set your sag at 95-100 mm that's about 4 inches. Set your low speed compression on the shock at 6 more out than stock and your high speed compression at 1/2 turn out more than stock. Set your shock rebound at 4 slower than stock, that's less turns out than stock. These steps will soften up your stroke and slow down the kick back for your weight. On the Fork do the same. 190 pounds sounds a bit high for stock springs. At 130 your fairly light for a 250, if you ever learn to ride this thing you'll get great starts. :cool:

These a ball park suggestions and I prefer to be held harmless for your actions. ;)

My wife is from Fairmont, she went to WVU. She knew Davy Combs and he sets us up with passes every year. We visit her family and hit the nationals and make a double hitter out of it.

Last edited:

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
thanks for info. as soon i figure out what all this means then im gonna change. there is a how to on setting sag on transworld that will come in handy. low speed compression is right below the seat on the right side right? and six more out would mean turn it 6 times to the right? shock rebound is changed by turning a thing on top of the spring right? ive had it for almost a year now and ive gotten pretty good on it but starts are not my friend!

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
NO, NO, NO...

The two rings on top of the spring?

The top one locks down against the second one. loosen the top one and then grab the spring with your hand and turn it counter clockwise to loosen it so you have more sag or the opposite for less sag.

Low speed comp is the small screw in the middle of the nut on the shock reservoir. High speed is the nut, on my RMZ it's blue. Shock rebound is "H" for hard or "S" for slow at the bottom of your shock near the bottom shock bolt under your swing arm on the right side of your bike.

Turn these screws in clock wise but don't force them or you will damage your shock. They will click as you turn them in. Once all the way in turn them out to the stock setting as recommended in your manual plus the crap that I said above.

On your forks the compression is on the top of the fork cap and the rebound is under the bottom of your fork down near your axle.

Hang tight a few minutes, I'll get some pics to help you out...

Last edited:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
This is the comp adjustment. The screw is low speed and blue nut is high speed. Low and high refer to shock shaft speed. Generally hard pack square bumps are high speed problems and sandy whoops are low speed problems.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/bigredaf/?action=view&current=P2090067.jpg

This is your shock rebound adjustment.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/bigredaf/?action=view&current=P2090068.jpg

This is your spring preload lock rings.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/bigredaf/?action=view&current=P2090075.jpg

This is the fork comp adjustment.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/bigredaf/?action=view&current=P2090069.jpg

This is the fork rebound adjustment.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/bigredaf/?action=view&current=P2090070.jpg

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
so i use a flat head screw driver to adjust everything except for the high speed comp and the sag right? and im prob gonna have to take the bars off to adjust the fork comp right?

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
hopefully i get a manual soon and i then i can start messin with this stuff. adjusting your suspension isnt such a dark and scary thing after all

Apr 6, 2004
Is Pyramid Valley still open? I can still hear Tom Stout (owner)telling stories about his car wreck.

I grew and lived in WV until 95 when my students loans came due and it was time to leave and find a job.

High Point is still my favorite track but you had better be in
shape. I remember doubling the breaking bumps on the downhills. If you haven't been you gotta go!

A good friend of mine also went to school at WVU and I he was a former top 10 supercross and national mx rider named Steve Childress (www.totalmxusa.com). He was also a 3 time national Amateur Champ at Loretta's and the Mini O's.

I now live about 30 minutes south of Nashville Tn and I go to Loretta's every year and I still see all the Coombs family.

later!

Todd

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Todd Derossett said:
Is Pyramid Valley still open? I can still hear Tom Stout (owner)telling stories about his car wreck.

A good friend of mine also went to school at WVU and I he was a former top 10 supercross and national mx rider named Steve Childress (www.totalmxusa.com). He was also a 3 time national Amateur Champ at Loretta's and the Mini O's.

Todd

As far as I know, Pyramid will be open this season. . .

http://www.pyramidvalley.com/

Steve's a nice guy. He was trying to put in a track near me, but the plans fell thru after he had it about 2/3 built. . .

Rob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
At 130 lbs the chances are very good you are going to have to put softer springs in. Stock valving is set for stock springs and a rider of about 160. Changing the valving will make a world of difference. Do the springs and save your money for the valves. If you desire to go faster, the suspension is your best bet.

Top Bottom