MXC vs. SX; Plus, major year model changes?

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
If there's a thread that answers these, let me know. But . . .

1) What are the major pro's & con's between the KTM MXC 300 (or EXC300)and the SX 250? I'm looking for some MX but would like to do some trail and wide-open outdoor riding. Didn't know if one frame was more stable or solid between the two, but I don't plan on racing anyone but myself.

2) How old of a KTM can I get and still be fairly competitive if I go trail or track riding with some friends, or decide to ever motard and do track days? If there are any major mods for certain years that make a huge difference, (e.g. motor/frame got a lot better in years 199X or 200X) I'd be curious to know that, but I don't have to win harescrambles with it at this point just go out and have fun jumping terrain and racing my shadow.

3) If it's not beat to crap, should I have reservations on buying a racing dirtbike if it's been taken care of and looks to be in good shape? I'm banking on at least doing a top-end rebuild, maybe replacing some fork seals, and possible cylinder porting when I get one, but didn't know if I should just look for a granny-owned model that hasn't ever seen the redline or more than 10 MPH.

Thanks in advance.

-Cheers

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
there is a review in the new dirt rider i think on sx exc and mxc,, they said the mxc was sweet at track but landed harder, so looks like springs would make it a good mr'x as well as open trail rides,,,, not sure what class a bike like that would throw you into if you did enter a race,, anyone know? what about for me,,, im 35 and beginner,, maybe the local track woudl let me race the 250s.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I have a 99 300 mxc, my brother-in'law has an 02 300exc. I spent a day on a 05 300exc.
Ridden the 03 /04 too and a few 250s of the same era.

Generally the 300 power is more linear than the 250. Some say the 250 SX makes more HP than a 300. Probably does make more peak. The 250SX has that race bike feel. Revs up fast and revs way out while the 300 in stock trim pulls a gear high and when twisted you get open type big power.

The 99 300 I have has more 250 style power. The 02 has nice smooth power. The 05 was nice, different than both and seemed to have the best of both. Transmissions are a big factor. The EXC is a true enduro trans, low first gear, higher 3rd and higher top gear. the MXC is like the 250 1,2,3 with higher 4,5. Primary ratios have changed with the newer machines. The rod length of the 03,04,05 is longer like the 250 also.g giving a different power. Also this makes a 250 / 300 cylinder swap possible...I think.

Suspension has gone many evolutions. The 98 shock was poor. The 99 was ok and had great offroad forks. I had my 99 Shock updated with some 03 parts etc and it is as good as or better than the 05 I rode.

The 300s are reliable like tanks. Any used bike will show wear and can become a money pit. My 99 was raced for 2 years at expert level offroad before I got it. I have it 3 years and race it a few times a year. I have spent $ on it, Crank,cylinder, 2 clutches, clutch slave, power valves complete and all the normal bearings twice. It is all a trade off as if a bought a new one and just rode it I think I would have spent about the same cash. :think:

For trail riding and occasional blasting the 300 mxc is sweet plus you can add lights to it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
The MXC versions of the bikes are being offered less and less these days if you are talking about new.

I believe that is is true across the board tha now days SX bikes have 4 speed boxes, EXC bikes have wide ratio 6 speed and MXC have close ratio 6 speed boxes.

At one point the bikes diverged. I think it was the '03 model year if I remember correctly. Personally I can't imagine wanting to ride a 4 speed box anywhere except a track. The gaps are too big.

I have heard the pre 99 bikes had some suspension problems. Dougroost has an older KTM so hopefully he will weigh in on this thread. I know he is happy with his bike.

They flipped over the forks about that time as well.

The '05 bikes are rumored to have solved a bunch of suspension issues and now have a steel wishbone frame. There were a pile of KTM demo bikes at DirtWeek, but I never managed to try any out. Many folks at Camp Tejas did and they spoke highly of the changes, and the folks I am referring to all ride KTM.

I personally have never ridden a 300, but have heard all of the above comments myself about the 300. Many people feel it is the best bike in the KTM garage at this time.

Stan Flemming has a 250 which I have a little seat time on and it is a good bike. It doesn't have the hit of my 200. LoriKTM swears by her 250 and has owned the 200 as well. Her opinion is that the 200 will win any drag race hands down but the result is a bigger hit.

I put a Gnarly pipe on my 200 after tacoing my stock pipe at Moab in the spring. I am considering a 9 oz flywheel weight although I like the current power characteristics of my 200.

The power characteristics of my 400 are like an electric motor. The 2 strokes don't get that gentle until you get into the bigger bores.

One thing for certain, you will not go wrong selecting a KTM. They may be more expensive out of the box, but they don't need the prep work of other bikes.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Nevada Sixx said:
hey mikeS,,, do you think a 300mxc was mx track worthy for the non-pro average rider?

Yes. Mine was ridden for a few months by my dealers mechanic at local MX. Other than the soft offroad valving at the time it was very good. Currently I have it valved by MXTech for agreesive offroad riding and it works pefect for natural MX. 25-65 foot Tables tops, doubles are no trouble even if you make a mistake. :ohmy:

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
This won't help you much but I have to comment anyway. I bought a 01' SX520 this spring and it was a great quality bike. I only kept it about three months because the suspension stunk for MX. Really harsh yet still bottomed. I played with it a bit with oil heights and such and just gave up before I sunk a bunch into it. Picked up a 01' RM250 leftover because I couldn't pass the on the deal and the stock suspenders on the RM made the forks on my KTM feel like 89CR forks. Granted I didn't spend the money to get them dialed but I did spend some time doing the basics without any improvement. I loved the feel of the bike and liked the handling but couldn't get over the suspension (mainly front fork). I would like to give a 03/04 MXC 300 a shot since the 520 was to much bike for me. Unless somebody is very good with these forks I wouldn't want a 02' or older. I judge all bikes by the suspension since it's designed for offroad so I might be a bit harsh on my KTM but my wrists sure agreed with me.

Top Bottom