MY First KDX - how much fork oil

GrayH

Feb 19, 2006
Hi All
Have just bought a 92 KDX 200 E4(I currently have a 1985 XT350)
and am looking for some advise as I get it road worthy(off road worthy??).
Could any one let me know how much fork oil per leg plus any tips to make the job of changing the seals a bit easier.
I haven't got a manual.
Cheers
Graham
UK

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Not sure about the oil volume, but with the springs out and the forks compressed, fill to about 110mm from the top. Oil level effects the last part of the travel and is mainly used to control bottoming resistance. Too little and you will bottom easily, too much and you won't use all the travel. It is fairly easy to add or remove some later, but 110mm should be close.

While you have your forks apart, I strongly recommend Race Tech cartridge fork emulators and stiffer springs. Unless you are very light weight, the stock fork is too softly sprung. It also has too much high speed compression damping. The result is it is wimpy on jumps and whoops, but harsh on rocks and roots. The emulators and stiffer springs make a HUGE difference on the older KDX.

If your budget does not allow for emulators or new springs and you still have the stock, soft springs, they can be stiffened by cutting off a few coils. If you do this you will need to add some length to the pre-load spacer. With only the spring change, the bike will be better on jumps and whoops.

GrayH

Feb 19, 2006
Thanks for that.
My bike needs a good bit of TLC though the motor seems sweet enough.
I'm looking forward to this project and with advise like that should be able to make an even better job of it.
Cheers
Gray

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Here is the recipe I use in my '92 "E" model.I also have springs out of a later model KDX which are a little stiffer.At 160 lbs. I don't need much.
For '89-'92 conventional forks Freddette says to remove the spring and compress the fork and then pour in the oil until it's 4.75 inches down from the top of the fork (for 200 lb riders. 5" for 150 lb riders). He says to mix 5 and 10 wt fork oils together for this.

GrayH

Feb 19, 2006
Thanks mate!
Dont suppose you have a wiring diagram in that manual you could scan for me???
Thanks again

Gray

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…