My first post, I'm a fish outta water -- help

F4

Apr 1, 2006
Sorry, I have not done a search yet for info. But here's the deal.

I started on mini-bikes and small motocycles when I was just a kid. I used to ride my brother Kawasaki dirt bike but can't remember size or type. But for the past 20 years, I've only ridden street bikes. I currently ride a CBR600F4.

I now wanna get a dirt bike. I do not plan on racing (can you do that at almost 40 years old?) I do not want a 2 cycle screamer -- I'm thinking of a 4 stroke Honda like the CRF 250 R. I'm 5' 9", with an inseam of 30" and weigh 175 lbs. While I do not expect to get into get into major air, I do want a bike that can take a 6 ft jump onto level ground -- s***, I used to jump my street bike off of 3 foot stairs in college -- so I don't want a bike that's gonna bottom too easily.

OK, so here are two questions I have right now (guess I'll have others later). First, is the CRF 250 R a good choice for me? Second, the bloody seat height is like 39 inches. How do you kick start one one these things without a block or step to balance off of your left foot -- do you hold bike at some crazy angle into the inside of your left leg while reaching over seat with your right leg to kick start? Now assuming you get it started, how do you mount the bike? Do you push off laterally with your left leg, pushing bike to right and coordinate clutch and throttle so that you begin to move when bike is straight up?

Hope that my questions here aren't too funny.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The bike sags about 4 inches when you sit on it, so for most of us the seat height isn't a huge problem. You shouldn't have a major issue with the seat height with properly setup suspension. As for bikes, are you planning on riding only motocross? If so, any of the 250F's will probably suit you fine. One thing to remember is these are high performance bikes (actually fairly similar to a two-stroke 'screamer'). The only difference is they make more torque than a comparable two-stroke and are usually smoother.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I'm 5'8 and ride a KX250. I don't know the exact seat height, but they are all roughly the same. I have seen some people stand on blocks or even their trailer to start them. I just throw a leg over, turn the lever out, and lift my leg. I have had to use my arm to pick my leg up that high before. If you do find the CR to be to high, you can get lowering links for it, or cut down the seat foam. Remember, Carmichael is only like 5'6". Ask the dealer to let you sit on the bike before you buy it, and see just how hard it is to get you leg over and onto the start lever. Remember that it will only get easier. And don't be afraid to try the other makes if the Honda sits too tall. All of the Japanese bikes are really good. Personally, I do not like Honda or thumpers, but go for it.
And yes, there are classes for people your age, my local series has +30, +35, and I think it even has a +40. Also, in may I plan to enter my first race in a 30-39 yr old class.
Good luck, and happy trails.

mxgirl118

Apr 2, 2006
i am 5 7 and i have one they are very tall but you can lean them over to start them it is a awesome bike you will like it a lot i would definately go with that

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'm 5''7" with a 29 inch inseam and ride an RM250, seat height should not be a real issue for you as mentioned earlier the bike sags about 4 inches when you sit on it if the suspension is set up properly.

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before we can give you good direction on the type of bike that might suit you. See the sticky thread at the top of this forum for all the info you should supply to get good answers.

Top Bottom