My homemade pipe guard. opinions?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Marlin, sounds good. Have you made one of those before?

yzeater, yes it does. It comes with a catalyst that makes the resin harden quicker. You just add a few drops of the catalyst into the resin and move quick, or it will dry up on you.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
for some weird reason I have a fondness for the stuff

as for laying up dirt bike related protective guards, No. but as for a working knowledge of fiberglass & epoxy resins. I've spent considerble time researching the subject. feats of accomplishments, for my resume are completely restored a 70's era fiber glass jetboat. successfully sprayed fiber glass gelcoat on the hull, pal'd a round with some good old boy's who'd let me work part time manufactoring fiber glass pick-up caps. and a standing member of west system epoxy works.
as for the making of custom motorcycle guards from a mold with either fiberglas resin or epoxy, with the possiblties of using exotic carbon fiber! ya this is something that I could think endless·ly about! :think:

Last edited:

superhonkey2

Apr 4, 2002
70 marlin & fatty_k,
My plan is not to weld the water pump guard. It will make it easier to hose out mud that way, plus I don't have access to a mig or tig welder.
I think my next project will be a pipe guard out of aluminium. It'll be alot of work cutting it out but it'll build muscles for riding so it works for me. I'll show my next project on the site. Stay tuned.

Happy trails!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
a I was wondering. I have lots of idea's! just short on cash. I was thinking on that pump guard about doing it out of dye'd epoxy resin> but after looking at my pump and how detailed it is, maybe i might have to make a card board divider, then paint on the laytex. so the mold would'nt be so tall.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…