My son has joined the Marines

momstheboss

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2003
My 18-year-old son informed us a few days before Christmas that he decided to join the Marines. Now, he has spoken about the military since he was about 12 years old, but of course now it has become a reality. He is leaving on January 25 and although I am happy for him, at the same time I am scared to death - nothing like sending your baby off to possibly get shot at! Obviously there is nothing I can do about it and, again, I want to support him in every way - I guess I just need some support so that when he actually leaves I don't break down and start blubbering like an idiot! Any opinions on mother's sending their baby boys off to war? Because that is basically what is happening here with the state that this country is in right now. Thanks for any kind words. :ugg:

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Hi Momstheboss, and BTW, welcome to the fun house.

Nuthin' wrong with crying like a blubbering fool when he leaves for Bootcamp.  It sounds like he is pursueing something he believes in, and his beliefs are well founded.  You and the imposing teddy bear have done well.

I have a son who will soon be 17.  Due to a life long battle with chronic asthma I won't have to face him leaving for a war.  That being said, I spent ten years in the military, a lot of it about an hour south of you.  I have spoken with his friends about what is happening in the world  and what future impact it may have on them. 

It's very hard, as a parent, to  look at them and imagine any of them having to stand for the rest of us.   At the same time, I can't really find the words to express the gratitude and respect I feel for any young man or woman who chooses to place them selves at the forefront of defending what's right, and those who can't defend themselves.

I know I am not the only one of the extended DRN family that wish him well and will pray for his safe keeping.

Tony

P.S.  As a Sailor I would be remiss if I didn't point out them there Mudrines look real purdy in those dress blue uniforms......  :confused: :)

theresa

Oct 16, 2002
Hi, I agree there is nothing wrong with being emotional when he leaves. That shows you care! You have every right to be proud. He is a brave young man to sign up when in such unsettled times in the world. He has entered a serious business. I wish him the best of luck in his adventure. The best thing you can do is continue to show your support. Send him a letter every chance you get! It does not matter if you think you have nothing to say. Those letters from home go a long way to boosting moral in basic training.

They do have great dress uniforms. I am partial to Air Force blue myself, active duty from 1984-1988.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Ma'am:
What you are feeling is simply a reflection of something you cherish moving out into the unknown, but speaks worlds of how great you are to have raised a son that would be willing to do what your son has choosen to do.
You raised him to be responsible, to do the hard right over the easy wrong, something that is missing all to often today. That didnt just appear in his brain one day, but mentored, developed through and awesome parent that tought sound values, and clearly a love for our Nation and what it means.

My hats off to you, you done good! : )

Remember, may you sleep in peace always, and please hug and thank that Marine of yours for that privilage.

God bless...and here is a link about Marine Boot Camp...good reading to make you really wonder what he has signed up for!

http://www.lifelines2000.org/services/articles/20020909/143821.asp?RootID=439

WHOAH!

HR

KimYZ250f

Apr 12, 2002
First off, you should be so proud that your son has such high values that he wants to defend our great nation. I'm happy that he is willing to serve and risk his life for his beliefs. You have definitely done an awesome job at raising your son with high values and fighting for what he believes in. My uncle and brother both served in the armed forces. My uncle was in active duty for both the Korean and Vietnam war. He retired a few years ago (after making the Army a career) as a brigadaire general. I can't tell you how proud I am of my uncle and my brother for serving their country. I thank God that neither were hurt. I will keep your son and all other sons and daughters in my prayers.

Second, it is ok to cry and be a blubbering idiot. That shows how much you love your son. I have an 11-year old and I worry constantly about him. You are a good mom!!!!

Kim

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I think it is something to be very proud of, but I would probably be an emotional jumble myself, just thinking of it! Its okay to show your emotions - he knows you love him!!!!! Good luck and hang in there!!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Blubber away that what moms do when there babies move away! By the way so do Dads. hang in there and pray a lot and send him a lot of little Debbies!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
dear Boss,
You join a long history of young lads and worried moms, you both are part of Americana now.
Try your best to be there for him whenever you get the chance, let me explain…
My bud served in Germany and Desert Storm. Green Beret, two Bronze Stars, (with V) served in the reserves and won CO of the year. I could go on and on. Out of the service he continues to be successful, a college grad, a good person with self-discipline, self confidence and of course a gentleman,

But that transition doesn’t happen overnight.

However, his relationship with his mom is forever strained because she made little effort to educate herself on his accomplishments, She didn’t attend graduation from boot, special forces, or even CO of the year. Its too late to attend now, practically too late to ask him about it all. So convinced she lost her son to the service, that, she lost her son….

Its pains him, that she doesn’t want to accept who he is or learn more; understand the man, what he’s done. A man’s sense of self of often gauged upon what he’s done. Rejecting what he’s done rejects the man. And some worse things can happen to an 18-year-old than join the service. Instead, he feels she dwells on what she can’t control instead of rejoicing his success, his return, and his new life.

When your son comes home the adjustment from service (where things are more black & white) to civilian life (where things are more grey) can take a long time and be a challenge forever. It can’t be rushed, and there is not always ‘forward progress’, especially to the perspective of the outside observer. Your challenge may be that vast empty gap between teenager and soldier-man. Just try to look forward, be proud, and make the best of it. You can love your son, love your soldier, doesn’t mean you have to like the service for that to still work.
Wish you and your son the best. Please pass on our thanks to him, and you.

momstheboss

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2003
Wow! Thanks Gearloose! I plan on going to boot camp graduation and any other big event that pertains to his being successful - I mean i'm a little upset but I understand and support my son in every way - I am very proud of him. Thanks
Paula (Boss!)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Hey Boss,

I'm sure PK has told you what I'm doing and will keep you posted!

Under Construction: http://www.militarymom.com/

Something to look into: http://www.marinecorpsmom.com/

It's for MC wife's but it might help: http://www.marinewives.com/

The MC Family network: http://www.marinefamily.com/

A link to help your son:http://www.marines.com/index02.html

If he is headed to the left coast for training, a place to start his bank account:http://www.mcwfcu.org/

Links to Marine organizations: http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=associations_marines.htm

I hope these help in some small way.

As a soldier who left his mother 2 days after graduation from HS I know what you are going through. A mothers tears are the hardest things to forget, because they are the one thing a young man never wants to see. His mother in pain. Remember this though, he makes his decission out of a need to answer a higher calling. Just as I did a calling to serve. Be proud(As I know you are!) and support him, he needs to feel it as much as do it. Your son will be safe, just tell him to listen to his trainers and his supiriors(sp) and he will be a fine soldier. My best to you through this "mom," I know this is difficult for you and I wish I could offer more but as your Hubby can tell you "Irish is a fruit cake" :)

I will tell you this, be proud and support your son, for he has the courage and moral character that you both instilled in him to undertake one of the hardest lifstyles on earth, a protector of this country.

In all seriousness I live this today, I am a serving Guard member, Veteran of the Army(8 years),IFOR and going through OCS now. It's not an easy life but the fact that he has chosen to live it is a compliment to you both!

Such fine parents you are to rasie him to make his own decissions and include you in them. Mom, I know your heart will be breaking when he goes, but hug PK(As ugly as that Cosmo cover is :) ) knowing that you will be hearing from him soon.

He will be home before you know it! You both are lucky, I didn't have e-mail while I was in. Today is a very differen't military from what I had to deal with.

My best to you both and your family, I hope the links help,

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Paula, you'll be fine. If you cry, so what, take a look around you - you won't be the only one blubbering. Look at the guys/gals alone there, I bet they wish they had someone crying over them.
Be proud (I know you are) and as Phillip says, they've got email these days ;)
I don't have kids, so can't even imagine what you're going through.
Best wishes to your son & family :)
Michelle

KeltWolf

~SPONSOR~
Oct 23, 2002
Paula,

You should be very proud of your son. When you see the flag waving at any event now, you will feel that pride. It will stir in your heart because you may not be the one out there, but your son will carry you in his heart through all the tough places he will go. And because you raised him to know that he should honor those who went before and this country of ours that needs people like him.

I was a Navy wife and my son is the spitting image of his Dad. For me a double-edged sword that is both bitter and sweet - you see Marcos will never know his Dad. But, I have him to love and raise with pride. I love America and I honor and respect your son.

We will keep him, you and your family in our thoughts.

God Bless.

C

chajim

i feel for you, i also have one son that just inlisted in the marines and the other in the army. its only been six months for the both of them. but i have to be proud of them, because i know no matter what they are becoming men.and they are doing what they think is right defending their country. god bless you and your family. and every time you see a flag smile, because thats your son smiling back at you.god bless cheryl

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…