Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Some of you may remember 23 months ago, I posted about a ride from hell. I almost sold the KDX after it, it was that bad.

Well, a few weeks ago, we got a flyer in the mail saying the ride was on again, except not using the same forest as the hell day (one forest per day, day two was the same one, but I never rode it as I refused to take the bike off the trailer).

Before Henk got home I wrote out the cheque (I'm not allowed a
c/book, only a c/card, which he's not allowed), so we were booked in. On Friday before heading down there (about a 3-1/2 hour drive), I was soooo nervous, all the ghosts of 2 years past came flying back, but I kept thinking I'd be fine, because I have/should have improved in 2 years, I was used to the bike, it was a different forest. But I guess it was the first big ride I was going on since then, so couldn't keep the butterflies away.

I'd been sick last week and wasn't really over the flu, but
determined to go. On the way down, we saw a shooting star just as we were about to roll into the town, which I thought was a good omen, but then thought, hmmm, maybe not. I was just nervous.

The poor organisers. Saturday morning rolled around, so I had to go ask about the trails, as to whether I was dragging Henk with me or going on my own. After talking to them, I told Henk to bugger off with his mates and I'd be fine. I decided to wait until about the last group before heading off, but got bored so just jumped on in anyways.

In the group (about 25-30 people per group) was a young guy
with his little neighbour (KTM65). These two waited until the rest
of the riders were away, and I tucked in behind them. They of course stopped so I could go past, but I told them I'd be happier behind them. We stopped a few times, so the little one could pick his bike up, the pace was slower than my normal pace, but okay, it was just nice to ride with a couple of other people rather than on my own.

We came to an uphill which looked a bit intimidating, so I stopped at the bottom to make sure the KTM made it up okay, then went myself only to find that he'd fallen on the downhill, so pulled up & helped him out. In the meantime someone came up behind us, with the rider running next to the bike (I almost told him the KTM had made it up, but didn't want to totally demoralise him lol). We stopped for a rest at the bottom of the hill and hopefully I got some good pix.

At the half way mark, the boys left me and I continued on my own, tagging onto other people wherever I came across them. I stuffed up a couple of times and lost some of the people I'd been riding with, but I was happy. I crashed one time, where I managed to smash the headlight surround & the peak of my helmet (must have looked hilarious, I just couldn't believe how dumb I'd been).

Near the end of the ride was a sort-of unmarked trail and I decided to follow it. It must have taken me a good half hour to finish it, I dropped the bike many times which resulted in me falling into blackberry bushes & bramble (oucho), but I finished it (only two others went past me, it wasn't being used, but was only 100m from the road, so I knew if anything happened I could easily go & get help).

By the time I got back to the van, I was stuffed and not at all ready to do any more riding, but I'd had a huge time and was ready for a soak in the hot pool (and beers).

Sunday morning came, with the weather looking a bit more dubious (we'd had a stunner of a day Saturday). I went up to one of the organisers to tell her she'd missed a good ride Saturday, but she had gone out on a quad & was keen to get back there. I decided to ride with her and her friend, which meant waiting around for a while until they'd finished their duties.

Julie was trying out a CR125 and someone else was coming along with a quad. Not long into the ride she switched to the quad and that was that. It was cool to go riding with two women I'd never met before that weekend and had an okay ride. After we got back, I thought I'd head out on my own and do a bigger trail. I didn't see many people out there, but the trail was easy and it was fun. I had to stop at one stage to take the peak off my helmet (after it flew across my eyes) and then realised I had broken it the day before. It felt way strange riding without goggles & no peak, but thankfully it worked out okay.

Of course I got stuck once, dropped the bike (just as I was coming back to the carpark), but nothing major and all-in-all a good ride. I enjoyed Saturday more than Sunday, but that was probably because I had people to ride with. Most guys were really helpful, it was great to see about 10 women out riding (some who rode Saturday didn't ride Sunday & vice-versa), and basically a great weekend.

It's dispelled a lot of ghosts and I'm happier about my riding than I
have been in a long time. For those wondering how many guys there were, well, on Saturday I know there were over 200 people there and Sunday must have been at least double that, so the ratio of male/female wasn't high, but it was still good to see.

I spoke to someone on Sunday who'd told me he refused to do any Saturday rides after two years ago (see, it was that bad), but I told him he'd missed out on a great day.

I'm a lot happier to go riding with total strangers, even if I haven't worked out what pace they're riding with (no, I won't pick fast guys, I doubt I'll even see them hehehe).

Anyway, that's long enough from me. We're hoping to go back weekend after this, but it depends on mum, it's her 70th on the Sunday and she may get upset if I go riding, but hopefully she's cool with a Saturday visit (she's in Aus at the moment, so I can't ask her yet lol).

Now, Bbbom, even if you don't read all this, how about your long
report? (oh, and the flu still ain't gone, it's driving me nuts)
Michelle

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Michelle,

I'm glad to hear you had a great time. I remember your post from before :eek: when you had the rough time. It takes guts to get back out there after a bad ride. Be proud, you deserve it! :aj:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Great report, Michelle! Glad you were able to conquer some old ghosts and have a good time doing it! :cool:
You'll get a good boost in confidence next time you go riding, too!

Speaking of bbbom, where's she been??!!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Way to go Michelle, it feels good to kick the demons after a hard time. I hope everything else is under control too.

Best regards to Henk as well.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Way to go Michelle!!!

I've been around off & on but haven't been riding at all, except the jetski and Karl's streetbike when I can. Work, repairing our jetski's (can you believe both of ours died at the same time so we had to swim them BOTH back to shore!), getting a skit together for my 20 year High School Reunion (those people are OLD ;)), trying to get the projects at the house done before winter (yep it's coming back) and the fact that is is DRY and dusty we have only had the bikes out once in the past month!

I did get a new bike though, kinda! I replaced the clutch cable and repacked the silencer on my bike and Karl adjusted the clutch so it actually disengages completely (teach me to let him warm my bike up!). Heck, I thought it was supposed to be like that guess that explains the black oil after a couple rides each time! He did say something about me riding a PW500. :scream:

What a difference! It pulls way harder. As long as I can stay on it we go EVERYWHERE! Even up The Hill and The Bank with ease!

Can't wait for the rain so I can get a real ride in on my old but new bike. Good to hear that others are out riding. We'll be hitting the lake tonight though.

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Great ride report, Michelle! Glad to hear you getting out there and joining anyone along the way! I hope you get over the flu soon too!!

BBBom, nice to see you again....been a while.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by AnneBrooks
BBBom, nice to see you again....been a while.
I thought I'd just been missing seeing her name ;)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention (how could I forget this - the most important thing of the weekend) - the guys cooked dinner on Saturday night (I couldn't be bothered grabbing a camera, but believe me, I thought about it).

One thing about high school reunions that I don't get - how do you know what class you were in? I know what years I went to school, and a few names are still remembered, but for the rest, I wouldn't have a clue - guess it's not a big thing over here, but class of 89, I just don't get it or is that when you graduate? (which is another thing we don't have here, we get our external exams & then just leave with a note saying we'd been to the school).

I'm glad your winter is coming back, as that means mine will be over (talk about crappy weather). Bbbom, I'm getting a new bike this weekend in that case (about time we did the top-end). As for the black oil after a couple of rides, Henk's KTM was like that which I've been told is common for open class bikes (so don't count on the oil coming out pristine afterwards lol).
Michelle

Top Bottom