scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Below is my WEMO letter. Our dealine for comments to be recieved is Sept 12th. Those of you who have not sent anything in. Please do so. You can cut and paste from my letter below but please can some of it to use your own words. They will not accept form letters.

Send it to:

West Mojave Plan
22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos
Moreno Valley, CA 92553

and

Bill Howell
D37 Wemo
9598 Meadow Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

You can CC your congressman if you like as I have.

IF YOU DON"T DO ANYTHING WE ALL LOSE. :|

West Mojave Plan September 2, 2003
22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos
Moreno Valley, CA 92553

To: WEMO Committee, Congressman Richard Pombo, and 3rd District Supervisor Bill Campbell

RE: Comments on the West Mojave Plan.

I would like to comment on the West Mojave Plan:

I am hoping that our local officials will represent the public and amend Alternate “A” to include most of the items contained in Alternate “E”. I am a member of the motorized recreation community and feel it would be a great loss of our basic American rights if the wide open free lands were closed for use to the general public, or possibly only open to those who can afford the proper “passes”.

I believe there is a recommendation that closes all routes not specifically marked as open. This is the exact reverse from our current program. I believe all routes should be considered open unless marked closed for some specific reason. If this closed unless marked open plan goes forward, I would at least like to ask for a complete survey and not rely on incomplete BLM data from 1980’s. Of the BLM’s “surveyed regions”. It has been documented that there were over 450% more trails found by an independent study. The BLM did not do a complete survey due to budget and time constraints. Hopefully, our officials will decide on the plan that makes the most since and costs the least and leave the trails open.

I believe a major concern I the region is the tortoise population. I believe we should control the non- indigenous raven population, which is flourishing on a diet of young turtles. District 37 has completed 1.4 million miles of competition without the documented loss of 1 single tortoise. The cause for the decline is not the motorized vehicle community. I believe if the BLM was really interested in saving the tortoise it should consider the “Head Start” program.

I believe that fencing the desert as described in the DEIR/S is, respectfully, idiotic. Not only is it ridiculously expensive. The only benefit is to the fencing company who wins the contract. Surely, with the shortfalls of our states budget, there is a better way to spend the millions this will cost. Lastly, those same fences will give the above mentioned ravens a better place to perch.

Below are a few actions I would like to see happen:

The Barstow to Vegas corridor has currently been deleted simply as because of an oversight in NEMO. I request that it be put back in.

I would like to see the Fremont Recreation Area connected to the Mirage and Spangler using existing routes.

I would like to see the “C” route system established in Cinnamon Hills as it’s described in Alt. E.

I request all parallel and duplicate routes that were closed should be returned to open status.

I request the Johnson to Parker and Johnson to Stoddard race routes should remain open as the courts have upheld in the past.

The overall number of routes should not be decreased, but rather I propose they should be increased. Recreation is a healthy part of life. Opportunities for recreation should be increased not decreased. Our media cries out for help with our nation’s obesity problem, especially in children. Here’s our chance to help. Instead of caving in to wishes of a few special interest groups who are trying to ban everyone from doing anything or going anywhere, I sincerely feel we should create more opportunities for families to comes together and enjoy our great country.

Ironically, these same special interest groups would like to paint a picture of the motorized vehicle community a bunch of lawless hellions. This could not be father from the truth. If you care to look you’ll find no one cares more about the land we use than our community. Recently my club held a family event at El Mirage; the rangers gave us tremendous complements on how clean everything was when we left. This is not the picture of hellions the special interest groups are trying to paint. We have an event this weekend out at Red Mountain off the 395 and Trona road. You are welcome to attend and inspect for yourself.

The motorcycle industry contributes six billion dollars annually to California’s economy. If nothing else surely the economic impact of shutting it down should be staggering. Any public official directly responsible for that kind of revenue loss surely has ended his/her career. Personally, my family uses our public lands and would like to see them protected yet useable. I hope our officials will have the vision to keep our land free.

Thank you for you consideration and could you please include me on your mailing list- email list.

Tim Morenc
My address etc.

CC Richard Pombo
Bill Campbell
Bill Howell

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
:worship:

Very good Tim. :thumb:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
We have a County Supervisor, Bill Postmus, who is VERY supportive of the off-road community, and has fought side-by-side with ranchers and off-road groups to keep public land open to the public in San Bernardino County.
He made the comment once, printed in our local paper, that off-roaders bring 8 BILLION dollars a year into S.B. Countys' coffers!

Top Bottom