WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Hey all,
Does anyone know what size thread the DRAIN BOLT is for an 89 KDX 200?

Mine snapped and I lost the old threads to match up at the hardware store.

Help is greatly appreciated! :yeehaw:

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
Sorry dude, its metric. and I don't have metric taps & dies.

7/16ths - 20 fits, but its not right WAY too loose. Maybe you can compare some metric bolts a 7/16th-20 at the store.

Or use this as an opportunity to buy a Moose magnetic bolt for $10.
Good luck!

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I know....DAMN METRIC!!! Why can't they just give the americans some standard bolts? Jeeze....

Anywho thanks brian I'll try that tommorrow. If I can't get it to the right metric bolt no biggie, only about 50 cents a bolt at the hardware store!!! :yeehaw:

MyNewSport

Aug 14, 2002
Hey
A good way to find out is go to your local kawasaki dealer and get a parts book or a repair manual for you bike if they have one.
Also if you bring your bike to a shop you could go there and see if they have a used one or can order one for you.
And if you have the money you could buy a used one off ebay, or find one at a junk yard
hope you find one
MyNewSport

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Damn Metric? Come on the SI system is the only good thing (apart from Michelin tires) to come out of France & you have to rag over it!

7/16ths – 20
-What the heck does that mean? Is it bigger or smaller that a 22/56ths?

And what’s an inch anyway, where is it derived from? The distance between a the joint of the King’s finger on his right hand that’s where.

At least the metric system is derived from a scientific set of constants. It’s the sort of improvement we got when the modern world decided decimalisation in currency was a good idea. We have 10 fingers so we work in base 10. 12 inches to a foot, please! 14 pounds in a stone, no thanks!

Generally speaking std metric threads have a common pitch so just measuring them for diameter is a good guess & you don’t have to convert thous of an inch into some silly fraction.

Cue hate mail from here. . . :p

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Go get the moose magnetic drain plug. $10-$13

I love the metric system. I hardly ever used my standard tools. The only work on stuff made in the US. In fact, I was working on my Durango the other day, and grabbed a standard set of sockets, I was perplexed than nothing seemed to fit quite right. I switched over to metrics and everything worked great. Maybe we're finally moving in the right direction.

When I lived in england, everything was metric except for speed. It was still in good ole MPH. That's the way it should be. :)

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
OK I guess for bolts and stuff like that metrics allright. BUT THAT"S IT!!!

Back on subject, I DID have the bolt stuck in the case with the head snapped off and the threaded part all the way into the crankcase (not sitting in the threads at all!)

Damn that was a scary experience, I was close to splitting the cases. I managed to get the threads to start again with a pen-magnet. Don't ask me how, but I did it! Then I used a reverse drill bit...should've done that in the first place.

OK I'm going down to Ace Hardware to see ifins I can find a bolt based on the 7/16-20 deal. Thanks for all the help!

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I would at least go to an auto parts store for the metric bolt. It sounds like you over tighten it too. Do you change that oil often enough?

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I'm pretty sure I didn't overtighten it. The drain bolt sucks. If you look at it, it slims down to practically nothing where the threads start, near the head. Right in the middle is where is broke. The bolt just started to get hard enough to turn that I couldn't turn it in with my hand, so I put the socket on it and barley put any pressure on it, and the freakin head snapped off.
I change the oil every 3rd ride too. Went to the hardware store...they were closed! But I plan on getting a bolt with threads almost all the way up to the flange, hardened stainless while I'm there too. :)

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
I don't know if it deserves a response.. but I'll explain the bolt designation.

7/16th's is the fraction of ONE inch that the bolt measures in diameter, across the threaded portion of the body. 20 indicates how many threads per linear inch along the the bolt body. Other commone threads are 7/16th's-28, and 3/8th's-16. Search the web, learn something new :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah I know, but any measuring system that requires a math equation is a bit silly. I mean inches wouldn’t be so bad if it was like 0.43” but 7/16 is dumb.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom