Need advice on my KTM 400 mxc

iforgot

Aug 8, 2002
Hi . I am the new owner of an 2001 400 KTm mxc . I need help troubleshooting a problem I am having with the bike.. I have it a few days now and it ran perfectly till yesterday, After riding for some time the bike would not respond to more than half throttle. It would act like it was running out of fule at more than half throttle.And shut off a few times. After getting it home from the woods I took apart the carb and cleaned the float bowles and reassembled the carb. the bike worked fine the rest of the day. this morning I took it out for a long 20 mile deep wood run and it took a dump on me again same simptoms,the bike will run only at idle or alittle past that and then it would just bog out and would shut off. i again rebuilt the carb and now it still is doing the same thing at half throttle it just boggs out.The local shop cant take it for another week, If anyone has any sugguestions please send them to me at my email they will be much appreciated.Thank you ..yo can email me at [email protected]

Last edited:

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Did you ask the KTM guys next door. It sounds like its getting too hot
or bad fuel maybe, check that coolant? idontknow

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Simple Solution from a simple guy.

Sell the KTM, and get 2 KDX's.

Or just get one KDX, and save the extra $3000 for something useful, like 2-stroke oil.

(I'm a die hard hater of all things orange, I've had too many of them go bad on the trail with me to actually have respect for them)

Jon!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'd be checking fuel delivery? bent or kinked fuel line. plugged or missed routed vent lines, clogged or damaged petcock & screen. bured or sticky float & neeedle assembley. also I'd be checking to see if this bike has a electronic rev limiter? do you have a manual? good luck

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I'm with 70 marlin. Plus check float level in the bowl. I had this same problem happen because the engine would drain the bowl at high revs.

Good Luck .... Be sure and update us with the fix.

re KDX :moon:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
It's cool to think one of those pumkin guy's needs us old cabage patch guy's advice, is it, he thinks us guy's are smarter or the green machine's just fail more offen? so we have more experience?

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I think it might be fuel delivery also try: a kinked fuel line, dirty screen in petcock, float level problem, blow into gas tank vent hose (clogged?)make sure you can blow into it, carb vent hose... clean carb with gunk spraying into all vents overflows,etc. off the bike of course :-\..

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Important:
I am the new owner of ...

The part of the ad for the bike he didn't include:
'Comes complete with fuel. Tank is full (uh...has been since I bought it two years ago......)'
edit***
The point is, DRAIN THE TANK. Clean it out. Use fresh fuel. Take the carb off and clean it up (again). Open the petcock (may require pliers on the venerable ktm) and flush the line before you put the carb back on.

If you have a fuel filter, change it. If you have a screen on your petcock, clean it, too.
edit****

Oh..he didn't ask us 'cabbage patch' guys on PURPOSE, you realize.

What does THAT say 'bout 'punkin heads? ;)

Last edited:

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
is the throttle opening all the way, or is it hanging up at half-throttle? (something interfering with slide travel, or throttle cable routing problems)?

check the easy stuff first., e.g.; tank & carb venting, cable/fuel line routing, etc.

i think murf has a point & it's easy to fix. at half-throttle, you're transitioning from the needle to the main. if it works for awhile then clamps up...; clogging repeatedly..., better take a look at the condition of your petcock screens & cleanliness of your tank, fuel line, etc. might be good to install a cheap in-line filter for awhile. wonder if there's some dirt in the system upstream from the carb that you're not getting to?

good luck!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I have a friend who had the same thing happen on his LC4. It turned out to be debris in his float bowl. Given that you have address this twice now, I would take a close look at the main jet. Also drain that tank (just to see if anything is in there).

Another off center thought - The throttle cable is allowing full throttle, right?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom