Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for fixing my computer? I am using an IBM A21m Think Pad with Window NT 4.0 operating platform and using Outlook Express for email. I can receive email, but when I click on the "new email" button the program shuts down and the Dr. Watson error message comes up with the following message.

"An application error has occurred and an error log is being genertated. msimn.exe Exception: hardcoded breakpoint (0x80000003), Address: 0x77f762e8"

This began to happen a couple of days ago when I installed Microsoft Picture It! 2001 Express. It also updated to 5.0 ver IE Explorer. I went back to revert to the old version and somehow deleted IE Explorer altogether and then Adaptec CD creator quit functioning as well as the CD. I also had Netscape on the computer and finally managed to find a site that would allow me to download explorer ver. 6.0 and now the CD works correctly and I can surf around with no problems and check mail but still get errors when trying to compose mail.

I am wondering if this is the updated version of explorer? I deleted the Picture It Express program but still no luck.

I am not sure what else to put in here but am open for any suggestions that anyone can provide. Also, one error said something about an accessibility error but did not see it again the last time. I will post it here if I see it again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Motohead00

P.S. Just got the other error code

Access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x0411c083

Last edited:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I should mention that this is really important to me because this is my work computer and desperately need the email for work too.

I hope someone can help and Thanks Again!

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
When you downloaded IE6 did you also download outlook express? I havent downloaded version 6 (comes with XP) so I dont know if its an option in this version, but with 5.5 I remember there was an option to download outlook express. It kind of sounds like you could stand to format and reinstall your OS. Also, make sure to shut down any junk that you have running in the background. I am a Comptia A+ certified computer technician, but I dont have much experience with NT workstation.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I had the prior version of Outlook Express before the update to ver 5 IE explorer from the CD from Walmart with Picture It!. When doing this I don't believe that it updated Outlook Express. When I downloaded IE 6 tonight it updated Outlook to ver 6.

I am not familiar with how any operating system works, myself. I just use the software so I really don't have a clue about NT either. But I am pretty good at following instructions if you have any suggestions.:)

Thanks
Motohead

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Do you know if you have any service packs installed? I know there are packs 4, 5, and 6 out. Do you have access to a copy of MS office? if you install Outlook (not express), it should fix something. Are you only haveing trouble with outlook express, or other programs too? Oh, do you have MS word installed? I know Outlook uses word to compose mail. If you do, can you open it seperately from outlook?

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I am not sure what you mean by service packs. I can open and use MS Word. I have Outlook on the 'puter, but it has not been set up with "user profile" information and I do not know how to go about doing it so I can't open it.

Right now all other programs seem to be working ok.
Thanks again for trying to help!:)

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
You want to hear something really funny? When I looked at the CD with the pictures on it, it was the wrong one! I had the right pictures but the CD has some lady on it and all the rest are baby pictures.:scream:

I am just having a bad week, the CD, not getting to go on the Reno riding trip, my computer and I think my girlfriend and I are going to break up:uh:

It HAS to get better!

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Goodluck trying to get answers from MS, I think they have some pretty lousy tech supp. and if you did get someone, they probably cant help much. I think you might have something going on between outlook/outlook express/word. If you could get outlook going and see if it works, that would tell me that the problem is somewhere within outlook express. I dont know for sure how to do it, but setting up a profile for outlook is basicaly putting in your name, email address, server info, that sort of thing. poke around and you should find something. what version of office do you have?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
To be able to install IE 6.0 on a NT 4.0 computer, you must have Service Pack 6a installed.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base would probably be your best bet. Go to www.microsoft.com and point at the support tab in the upper right hand corner.
When "knowledge base" appears click on the link. Once the knowledge base page downloads look for the link in the center of the page that says, "Try the Q number short cut."

Enter this number Q288085

It is relevent to your situation.

I hope this helps.:)

Last edited:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
OL express works for the most part, I can receive email, but cannot compose new mail. I was looking around in the tools section a moment ago and it crashed again.

When I try try to open Outlook(not express) I get a pop up box with this info.

The header says "Choose profile". Then there is a box with the following, Profile Name: Generated profile for %username% . Then there is a button to the right of that says New... The bottom of the box has the usual New Cancel Help Options>> buttons.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
As I suspected, something to do with service packs. But like I said, Ive never messed with it much. For the common person, I think win98/me/XPhome are all better choices.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Actually, I was trying to point out that if he was able to install IE6.0 then he already had the newest service pack installed.

The issue is with Outlook Express. There are probably corrupt .dbx files on motohead00's computer.

Last edited:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks all for the good advice. I am going to try to work with it some more right now and will keep you updated on the progress or lacke of it!;)

Like BigLou said one time... Is this a great place or what? You can get help from trueing a wheel to computer woes.

Thanks again!

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Presumably you tried rebooting first. I agree that your OE files are bad. I would setup outlook, it's much more stable and has far more features.
You said this is your work box. I am surprised that OE is used at all since it's an NT box. Call your help desk if you don't know your server settings for your connection, and have them talk you through setting Outlook up if you don't feel confident doing it yourself, but it IS simple. Then, if you still have problems go to a fileshare that has software on it and try this: uninstall/reinstall Word, and uninstall OE via Control Panel. Sorry, kinda verbose but I do this for a living and I get carried away. FYI, Millennium Edition of Windows is TERRIBLE be very afraid!

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Well, I thought the advice about the database was going to help. It's title and suggestions seemed to be relevant, now I can't even open the program.

I wish that it would have helped, but the program seems to have gotten worse. Don't worry, I am not upset for the suggestions not working out it was at least a place to start working. Any more suggestion? I am still up to try anything.

Thanks again,
Motohead00

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
yep, corrupted files rarely fix themselves, they get worse. If you are bound and determined to use OE, just reinstall it. Or you could try running setup.exe again (from File Explorer>c:\ drive>OE>setup.exe) and see if it helps.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Well, for now the problem seems to be resolved. I didn't mind using OL instead of Express, just that I don't get by the office much and haven't had the chance to go in and get it configured. BUT, after several more attempts I have OL up and running and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for all who tried to help! You gave me suggestions that were relevant when I didn't even know where to begin. Let's just hope that regular Outlook stays functional!;) :)

And again a BIG THANK YOU!

Top Bottom