CB3232

Nov 8, 2014
Hello, well today I am seeking some assistance in finding a new bike that will fit me good. I am 16, 186 LBS and about 6 foot. I currently only have a '09 CRF70 that I got back in '09 just for a starter. I have never rode clutch, but feel I can learn quite easily. I will mainly do trail riding and races with friends. I am looking for a bike that will fit me in size, but will have great speed and stay in my price range. I am okay with having the bike a little over sized, because I am still growing and want to have this bike for a while. These are a few bikes that I have found on Craigslist that I think fit what I am looking for. If you could help me figure out which would be best for what I am looking for, I would greatly appreciate it. Remember, I'd love to have it go extremely fast and good pick up. (Or, if you happen to find a better bike that fits me near the Maryland area, feel free to link me to that.)

2003 Suzuki RM 250 2 stroke
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4747251663.html

2003 Honda cr250r

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4738329936.html

2000 YZ 250 - MY TOP CHOICE RIGHT NOW, LOVE THIS BIKE.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4731903091.html

2008 Honda crf250x

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4745177960.html

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
At 6 feet tall there won't be any bikes that are too tall for you. That CRF70 is way too small, you shouldn't be riding that anymore.

If you have no experience with a clutch then you are going to struggle for a while. You will struggle a LOT more with a two stroke. Two strokes are far less forgiving of being in the wrong gear or sloppy clutch work. Climbing hills and picking your way across a technical section might prove very frustrating on a two stroke, especially until you master the clutch.

My first recommendation is to change your attitude about wanting to go "extremely fast". Just about any bike will have the capability of getting you up to a speed that exceeds your skill. Most of the bikes you have referenced will get you there very quickly, which can be bad.

You might be very happy on one of those two stroke bikes once you learn to handle them. The concern is that they might kill you before you can learn.

That CRF250x you referenced would be a GREAT bike to learn on. That is the bike that my daughter uses to race with and does very well. It is dependable and easy to ride and will have plenty of power for a novice rider.

You probably won't like it for long. It has electric start, which is great for my daughter and for an old man like me but a young buck like you would rather save the weight and kick start it. Plus the guys might tease you if you show up with a "happy button".

If you insist on going straight to the two stroke race bike please take it easy until you have mastered the throttle and clutch.

Above all, make sure that you have proper riding gear. Do NOT get on one of those bikes without a proper helmet and boots. Gloves, and goggles are also very important. I highly recommend a chest protector and knee pads. Elbow pads will save a lot of skin.

Just out of curiosity, how will you be transporting this bike?

And what do your parents think of all this????

Rod

CB3232

Nov 8, 2014
At 6 feet tall there won't be any bikes that are too tall for you. That CRF70 is way too small, you shouldn't be riding that anymore.

If you have no experience with a clutch then you are going to struggle for a while. You will struggle a LOT more with a two stroke. Two strokes are far less forgiving of being in the wrong gear or sloppy clutch work. Climbing hills and picking your way across a technical section might prove very frustrating on a two stroke, especially until you master the clutch.

My first recommendation is to change your attitude about wanting to go "extremely fast". Just about any bike will have the capability of getting you up to a speed that exceeds your skill. Most of the bikes you have referenced will get you there very quickly, which can be bad.

You might be very happy on one of those two stroke bikes once you learn to handle them. The concern is that they might kill you before you can learn.

That CRF250x you referenced would be a GREAT bike to learn on. That is the bike that my daughter uses to race with and does very well. It is dependable and easy to ride and will have plenty of power for a novice rider.

You probably won't like it for long. It has electric start, which is great for my daughter and for an old man like me but a young buck like you would rather save the weight and kick start it. Plus the guys might tease you if you show up with a "happy button".

If you insist on going straight to the two stroke race bike please take it easy until you have mastered the throttle and clutch.

Above all, make sure that you have proper riding gear. Do NOT get on one of those bikes without a proper helmet and boots. Gloves, and goggles are also very important. I highly recommend a chest protector and knee pads. Elbow pads will save a lot of skin.

Just out of curiosity, how will you be transporting this bike?

And what do your parents think of all this????

Rod
Thanks for the great responses and I have taken into consideration everything that you said. As for the bike, a couple other forums have said the same thing with the bike may be to fast to start out on and such, but others are saying that it's not so hard to ride the clutch and I should be able to master the clutch in a few weeks time. As for transporting the bike, I will most likely put it in the back of my truck. My parents don't know to much about the sport/hobby so they are more than willing to let me do what I please.

Top Bottom