Need HELP for my Sons First MX Boke

lindacr2

Jul 29, 2008
My son is 12 but very tall for his age. He weighs 130 pounds and LOVES to ride ATV's but has only ridden a dirt bike a few times, but not racing. We are buying his first dirt bike and he wants to get into MX racing in time once he is comfortable. He is looking at the Honda or Yamaha 85, but I think this might be too small for him (I really don't have a clue however). The 100 or 125 look more like his size but I don't want him to have too much power initially.

Can you please give some advise on what is a good first MX bike for him knowing that he is growing about 2-4 inches a year and will pick up on the riding very quickly. If he can have a bike for 2 years, that would be ideal but that would be a great first MX bike for him.

I appreciate your help very much!

Linda

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
How tall? I'm 5'4", 145. An 85 is way too small for me. A 100 is about the perfect size for me, but I wanted more power, so I got a 125, cut the seat foam and had the suspension lowered.

I rode the bike for awhile without cutting the seat foam or lowering the suspension. I could ride it fine, tall though it was. However, if he's around my height he will need 3-6" tall starting blocks so he can touch the ground with both feet on a 125 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke.

You don't want to be dragging your feet on the ground on an MX bike. Tiptoe with both feet is about right IMO.

BTW, when a bike is properly set up for your weight, the rear suspension is supposed to "sag" down about 4 inches lower than the total suspension "travel" when the bike is sitting on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground.

Thus, when properly set up for him, the 125/250f may be lower than they seem in the shop.

As noted, you can lower the seat height by removing the seat cover and cutting the foam down a couple inches. Then you can replace the seat foam when he gets taller.

The 125 and 250f likely have more power than he's used to, but if he's reasonably sensible, I'd think he could spend a week or two getting used to the power spread and then he'd be fine. Lots of kids his size/age have done it before.

That should get you started.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
xsnrg said:
If he's learning how to ride from scratch (a bike, not an ATV), then I'd start him out on a trail bike, not a motocross bike.

I disagree - they'd just be selling the trail bike within 6 months. My first bike was a JR50 at age 5. I rode it around for a year or two, but you can hardly call a 6 year old an expert.

When I was 11 or 12, dad bought me a brand new 1995 xr100. Within 6 months I was beating the bike to death on the jumps and we traded it and cash for a 1986 CR80.

If the boy wants to start racing MX, he needs an MX bike. There's a beginner class for beginners. The suspension is better on the MX bikes. They're lighter. They tend to handle better. The only difficulty he'll have on MX vs. trail - if at all - is that the motors are a little less "user friendly" - especially the 2 strokes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd say power to weight, an 85 is almost as powerful as a 125.

At his size, he'd out grow an 85 pretty quick.

I'd go with a 2000 to 2002 Honda CR125. But, that's just me. I like red.

May 10, 2007
depending on your price range you can search around dealers and might be able to find a new bike for a reduced price because of the new models coming in (our local dealer had an 07 cr125 for just 4k last year right when the 08 models were comming out)

Top Bottom