Need help getting the Magneto out.

Oct 23, 2005
Hey guys, on my old '78 IT250 I am stripping it down completely and rebuilding it because it wasn't running. So Im praying for a miracle that when I put it back together and kick it it goes vrooom. But anyway, everything has been going great until the Magneto removal. I can not get this sucker off of the flywheel. The problem is the magneto spins with the nutt on the fly wheel. I have tried to use a strapwrech and jamming the fly wheel but nothing has worked so far. Any ideas? Please help , Id really appreciate it,
Pete.

JohnRaven.exe

Jun 5, 2006
They make special wrenches for taking those off. (at least for my bike anyways) I made one of my own :)

I can't find any pictures of one at the moment... sorry :(

Hopefully someone else can explain a little better

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
yea are you having trouble getting the nut off or have you already gotton it off? If you havnt someone has given me a good pointer on this site about feeding nyloon rope into the cylinder make sure that you do it when the piston moves past the exhaust port or when you wrench the nut it could damage the piston. once you have the rope in the cylinder, via the sparkplug hole turn the flywheel just untill you feel that the piston is hitting the rope then wrench the nut, i got mine off doing that with no damage.

try putting it in gear and stepping on the back break and wrench the nut.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use the rope trick and it works great. An impact wrench works good to if you gave access to one.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
Dont use th hammering impact wrench, it will warp the crank. Only use the air impact wrench.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
84cr125 said:
Dont use th hammering impact wrench, it will warp the crank. Only use the air impact wrench.
Good point! Thanks

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've gotten so use to the ol' impact wrench, I probably couldn't get my engine apart or back together again if my air compressor breaks.
Think I'll buy one of those Hitachi cordless ones in case I'm ever caught without a compressor. I'm sure my wife will understand....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…