Need help setting float level. '01 cr250

alltat2ed

Jun 23, 2005
I can't get the float level set on my 01 cr250!! I replaced valve and seat and still have gas coming out of overflow. Manual says should be 15mm. I have had the carb off and adjusted float at least 10 times. But still no change. Any ideas??

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Are you adjusting the float as specified in the manual or just flipping it upside down and measure the height from there?

alltat2ed

Jun 23, 2005
I'm using the manual. Making sure the tab is not compressing the spring pin, just barely contacting it. It's very hard to see the pin on the valve tho.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Are you sure you put the gasket around the float valve in? Are you sure the float is not upside down? Try decreasing the float height and see what happens. The carb in the manual does match the bike? Floats do not go out of adjustment by them selves. But that vent rod in the bowl can push them out of spec if not very careful putting the bowl back on. I really hate that carb, that vent rod and the needle/cable holder are really a poor design. MIKUNI

alltat2ed

Jun 23, 2005
O-ring is around valve seat. Float is in correct per manual. By decreasing float height do you mean bend tab up or down. Manual does match carb. Carb was on bike and flipped up-side-down for 2 weeks when I got it. Thought maybe that would cause it to be out of spec. Not sure if it overflowed before that.

If I decrease float height that would cause less gas to go in the bowl before closing, correct?

p.s. I used a Moose rebuild kit. The valve has a stainless tip not a rubber one. Never saw that before.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Decrease the amount of fuel in the bowl, yes. Figure the float height lower, try radical changes to isolate the problem. Love moose gaskets, float valves, wtf? May be opening a can of variables?

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
I had an 01 and bought the moose rebuild kit from Dennis Kirk. I had to throw it in the garbage!!!!

It's the wrong needle and seat for the float. It doesn't seal!!!!!!
Go buy OEM ****

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
I just bought a moose carb kit for my 03 kx 250....same stainless tip valve and I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM......fuel running out the hose. I put the old valve on and it stopped dripping. That style valve is either pure crap or is designed for a different adjustment.. Try putting the old valve back on...... I gurantee you'll be better off.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Moose did not offer a seat, extra of course?

Well it was a "carberator rebuild kit" that came with all the gaskets, all the stock size jets, needle and a float valve. I should've known better when the whole kit was only $15.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some good after market parts are out there, not for the oem carb though! And the carb is the LAST place to introduce a stupid variable. Jetting is easy, wading through other issues is the big problem. Especially on a used bike!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
some floats are hollow, made of plastic instead of solid sponge. they are prone to leak gasoline inside. once they are full of gas inside, never going to have a correct float height.

Top Bottom