plumma

Feb 21, 2005
I have an 02 CR125, just about whenever I get the bike warmed up and i've been riding for about half an hour I'll be either starting out in first or shifting into second and the bike will have NO acceleration, but the rpms will climb. It sounds like a flapping noise coming out of the engine area and when I let off the throttle and re apply, it will pick up and power through the powerband correctly. This is a very wierd thing, because it only happens like 1 in 5 times or so.. I have a small hunch it might be reeds? I've never replaced them. I'm running 92 octain with pro honda two-stroke oil. Please give feedback and suggestions!

Last edited:

thomas123

Oct 31, 2001
3 things I can think of,

1) clutch plates are finished and it's slipping
2) clutch basket is notched (though doubt it)
3) tranmision is slipping out of gear (have to split the cases to check this, so check first 2 first)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
when my clutch went i was in a bind and had to get back to the truck so what happened which is what is happening to you is revving the bike while the clutch is slipping heats the plates extremely and they expand therefore catching one more time thats how i got to the trailhead though it took higher revving the closer i got to the truck

check your freeplay also

plumma

Feb 21, 2005
Thanks for all the feedback guys, but I just finished rebuilding the bike and had the clutch apart also. I checked over every friction plate and the basket and everything looked fine. I put it all back together according to the manual. Another thing is that it goes into gear fine, it doesn't chug when it starts making the noise either it just acts like there's no powerband. The bike really doesn't have a huge amount of hours on it, I'm the only owner it has ever had.. Also this has happend to me even before the recent engine rebuild (not as often though).

So to check the freeplay, is that making sure the cable isn't too loose or harsh? thanks again for all the input!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
plumma said:
So to check the freeplay, is that making sure the cable isn't too loose or harsh? thanks again for all the input!

yep also plates and disks along with clutch springs may need to be measured also check that your powervalve is not stuck closed

plumma

Feb 21, 2005
I just checked the freeplay and it was a little loose to what the manual says. I tightened it up a bit, so hopefully it's something that easy. If not I might order a new clutch kit.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
If it was a little too loose , thats not it , if there was no free-play the clutch wouldnt be allowed to engage properly , making it slip as if you feather it....

plumma

Feb 21, 2005
I just ordered a new clutch kit and cable. The kit has steel plates, and from what I hear the steel are better than the stock aluminum. I'm hoping that the new parts will solve my problem..

Top Bottom