Need Help with 1980 elsinore

MXmonkey

Mar 7, 2001
i have a 1980 CR 250 and i just put a new weisco piston and a set of rings in it and now when i ride it after about 45 minutes it just burns the plug up and it lose's its spark i mix my gas at 50:1 ive tried mixing at 40:1 i started out using a NGK B8ES spark plug then i moved up to a NGK B9ES and i even tried a resistor plug that was some weird NGK number and my needle valve is on the top notch please help thanks

------------------
dont get weeded!

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Are you fouling the plug? Can you put a new plug in and go? In a NGK plug, an 8 is a hotter runner than a 9. Did you have the same problem before the piston and rings? If you're able to just put a new plug in and go, sounds like just re-jetting. Hopefully you aren't sucking up crankcase oil.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 HUSKY 430 XC
72 HUSKY WR 250
72 HUSKY WR 450
73 HONDA XR 75 (MY ORIGINAL BIKE!)

[This message has been edited by Oregon Trail (edited 03-07-2001).]

MXmonkey

Mar 7, 2001
yeah i'm not fouling the plug it just wont spark anymore even if i clean it up. i can just pop in a new plug and it starts on the first kick. it never did this before i put in the new ring and piston. thanks for tellig my about the NGK plug i thought that a 9 was hotter than a 8. how would i tell if i was sucking up crakcase oil???

------------------
dont get weeded!

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Yeah, sounds like you are fouling the plug. I've never had any luck in trying to clean my plugs after I foul them. Do you have to keep adding crankcase oil? If you do you may be sucking it up via a blown crankcase seal. If you don't have to, I'd try going with a smaller pilot jet first. Sounds like a case of running too rich.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 HUSKY 430 XC
72 HUSKY WR 250
72 HUSKY WR 450
73 HONDA XR 75 (MY ORIGINAL BIKE!)

MXmonkey

Mar 7, 2001
Thanks i'l tell my dad and we will check the crank case. what would you suggest mixing my fuel at?? thanks

------------------
dont get weeded!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
My '79 YZ-400 had a similar problem.
It was jetted too rich.
I put in a set of Boydsen's "torque reeds",
and jetted accordingly.
But it still chewed up plugs (NGK B8es or B7es) quite often, so i tried some different plugs.
Seems the ol' gal didn't like NGK's anymore.
It ran much better and longer using Champion N2C's or N3C's.

Who woulda thought???

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…