Need Help With Handle Bars!!!!

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
Iv got a 2002 kdx 200 and need new handle bars the stock one seem to bend easy. iv been looking at tag 2 bars but not sure what bend to get can any body help me with there comments and what bars you got and bend. thanks alot....... fast200

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Tag CR Hi- Bend cut down works real well, I think mine are cut down to 29 inches. I'm guessing you will put bark busters on?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
cr-hi is a popular bend..and I believe to be fairly close to the stock kdx. If you have a rocky mountain catalog, they list the oem bends in their handlebar section.

In any case, when I replaced my oem bars I was told cr-hi was close..and I found them to be ok. Just a tad (1/2" or so) wide, but comfortable.

You can always cut the extra length off.....well, on most bars. I don't know if tags have any problems with that procedure or not.

A one-piece top bracket is a good idea. Helps 'share' the load to both mount posts.

Make sure your bars are really bent? The bushings can get 'smushed' and cause them to APPEAR bent when they are not. Reset the bushings to rectify that problem (and get a one piece clamp!)

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
It's like Canyncarvr say's, the rubber damper bushings may be out of place. After the first big crash on mine, I thought that I had bent my bars. After looking more closely at them I discovered that they were not bent. My next suspect was that I had bent the lower handlebar clamp. But after removing them I found that they were not bent either. That is when I discovered that the washers were bent and the rubber dampers were out of place. After straightening the washers and resetting the dampers, everything was good as new. This is a chronic problem that may be solved with a one piece upper handlebar clamp like canyncarvr suggested. I have not tried the one piece clamp, but I do know that one of our team bikes, which is a KX250, has the one piece and has never experienced this problem.

If you are out on the trail and this happens, simply stand in front of the bike, hold onto the handlebars, turn the wheel as far to the side as it will go, and then pull on one side of the handlebar and push on the other side until it is straight. This will enable you to keep riding the rest of the day.

Bottom line is... you could SPEND A LOT OF MONEY on bars and still have to straighten the washers and dampers every now and then... or you could just straighten the washers and dampers every now and then at NO COST.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I love my Tag Cr High bars and just cut them down to 29" Saturday. They feel much better. I thought that I might get a nice clean cut with a tubing cutter but it would have taken forever. I advise to use a tubing cutter to score a line and then cut with a sawsall with a fine toot blade, and file to perfection :yeehaw:

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
I just bought fmf's909 bars. Best bars I have ever had. The actual bend is "gran prix"... real close to cr-hi

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
well i got the tag cr high bars and went to the solid mounts much better the bike has a better feel with the solid mounts. doesent have the wandering feeling anymore. thank for all the advice...........fast 200

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
when you crash you may get that bent look again - it's the bushings. i have a friend with protapers that do the same thing. just get back on and crash to the other side to straighten them out.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…