striven82

Aug 13, 2008
My '98 Katie needs new handle bars and mounts. Since I'm replacing them, I'd like to go with a fatter bar. Does anyone know if there are mounts available that would fit the holes in the stock top triple clamp?

Also, my odometer does not work. That is fine with me. Is there a way to remove the odometer, cable and the piece that's mounted to the axle/fork.

Thanks

striven82

Aug 13, 2008
I'm semi handy. I don't mind tearing into my machines. I just need some idea of what I'm supposed to do.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Renthal, Tag and Pro Taper make 1 1/8" bar mounts.

Buy a tripmeter plug from Zip-Ty Racing to plug the open hole left when you remove the tripmeter cable. You have to leave the drive unit on the axle. It helps to keep dirt and water out of the bearing.

striven82

Aug 13, 2008
Will their bar mounts fit the holes in the stock triple tree? Are they universal? Thanks for the info!

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
glad2ride said:
Renthal, Tag and Pro Taper make 1 1/8" bar mounts.

Buy a tripmeter plug from Zip-Ty Racing to plug the open hole left when you remove the tripmeter cable. You have to leave the drive unit on the axle. It helps to keep dirt and water out of the bearing.

If you don't plan on ever re-installing the cable then just plug the cable hole with black silicone. You should also take the gear adaptor piece off the front axle and remove the inner gear held on by a snap ring. Then reuse the gear adaptor for proper fitting of the front axle .
If you ever want a trip meter or digital engine computer buy a Trail - Tech for $99.00 ,, totally electronic , no cables.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I THINK those will work, but Pro Taper makes something similar that will be about half price.

They make the ones that fit cast mounts, also. It will make the bars higher though.

Top Bottom