ZoomingM3

Feb 24, 2005
Purchased a 01 YZ426F recently and it didn't come with a manual so I need some information/help on a couple issues.

The seller told me he only put 4 to 5 hours on the bike so I'm guessing he never changed the oil and filter. When I removed the oil filter I was alarmed to see small metal chips/shavings in the filter. Would this be normal for the 1st oil change? If this wasn't it's 1st oil change is it normal to find metal in the filter?

When draining the oil from the frame I also noticed there was a drain plug on the bottom of the motor, I drained it from this location also, was this correct?

Last question, how much oil is required when the filter is replaced?

Thanks

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Metal shavings in the filter is relatively common, happened to both my YZFs when new. If this persists w/ frequent changes you could have problems, but I wouldn't worry about yet.

If you drain both the tank and engine and replace the filter you should put in 1,600 mL, or about 1.7 US qts.

If you want you can reuse the stock oil filter, just carefully back-flush it with something (cleaner, solvent, diesel) to remove the debris. OTOH I think a replacement is less than $10...

And yes you drained the oil properly, another trick is to tilt the bike over slightly (to the right) and remove the lower oil filter cover bolt first, allowing the oil to drain out. If there is junk in the filter make sure you clean it out of the filter housing also.

I would also recommend a magnetic drain plug (in the motor).

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom