smoker

Jan 28, 2006
I am 56 years old and would like to try MX, my oldest son rides and is pretty good at it, and I got hooked watching him. My problem is this, I can't seem to get myself to go high into a berm on the gas, I always drop to the inside down low, I think this may be mental because at 22 Years old I went into a curve on a gravel road too fast on a Honda 750 crashed and went over the front of the bike, now at my advanced age,the ball and socket of my sholder are worn out and I have a lot of pain in that sholder. My son says ride, ride and ride somemore is the only way to get over this fear,but try as I may I can't seem to improve,and I don't want to give up on my dream of raceing, any suggestions?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Try starting with smaller berms that are loamy and move to bigger ones that are hard pack or sandy as you improve . . .?

The berm will normally hold you up - it's not like a flat turn with gravel.

Get forward on the bike in the corner - washing out the front end is the most common problem I have had and it's caused by not being far enough forward. Get your head over those bars.

smoker

Jan 28, 2006
Help

Thanks, I will give that a try as soon as this new snow melts, I don't have a lot of time to get comfortable with the YZ 250 I just bought, the season starts March 12th

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
If you're not used to being as forward as you're supposed to be, then it will feel like you are too far forward. It took me about 4 or 5 rides/races to get used to the proper position. It feels almost like the position you should be in on the starting gate. It's wierd till you get used to it.

As you pass the apex and near the exit of the corner, you begin to move your weight back a little to gain traction on the rear wheel for powering out of the corner.

Also, CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

As I was learning the proper position after a riding class, I went to a race and washed out twice in the muddy pre-race practice. My confidence was shot and I thought I was doing something wrong. Then I checked the tire pressure in the front tire and found it was about 7 pounds. It should be 10-15 depending on conditions. I usually run 12-13.

Oh yeah - take an MX riding class. It'll be the best money you spend on the bike.

Top Bottom