need help!

kdxkid141

May 25, 2003
ok, i have a 2001 kdx 220 and it doesn't want to rev very high, we repacked the silencer and checked the air cleaner to make sure it wasn't over oiled. cleaned the jets out as well, twice actually. some ideas on how to fix it would be very appreciated. would like to fix asap cause we have a trip planned in about two weeks to go riding for a week. thanks

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Is your KIPS opening? If so, do you still have the too rich factory jetting (especially if you've got an aftermarket pipe)? Did you squeeze out the excess air filter oil real good?

kdxkid141

May 25, 2003
its an FMF turbine core II pipe and we sqeezed the excess oil out of the filter as best as possible. all jets are stock and its set on the third clip from the top. my dad checked the that the gears were moving when he the screw off the left side, so the KIPS is opening i guess. so still open for suggestions.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Are you watching the KIPS gear move as you're reving the bike or just moving them manually with the engine off?

I have no experience with the 220, but on the 200 I'd drop the pilot 1 size and the main 2 sizes just to get it in the ball park (on the safe side). That's with an FMF pipe, which makes the richness problem worse than with a stock pipe.

When it's rich it resists high RPMs by "4-stroking". That's a rich induced "missing" in the firing process. Is that what you're experiencing?

kdxkid141

May 25, 2003
Yes the bike is running when I check the valve. Rev it up and down and the gear moves,I assume that means the valve is working. I do not understand why my jetting is off since all was well for the past year riding this beast. Tried a stock pipe and still the same. Will act like it has bad gas ,will kind of surge in upper rpm like it wants to get there but can`t. Compression is 145 - 151 bike warm full throttle. Not the gas since another bike is using same and all is ok with it. Man I do not want to have to take it to a dealer.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
davidg said:
Have you checked your reeds?

:clue: Good call davidg. If that's not it, check the con rod bearings and main bearings.

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
1) Starving for fuel? Maybe fuel filter clogged or? Remove drain screw on carb to assure lots of fuel flow.

2) Maybe KIPS valves aren't moving with gear rotation. Pull exhaust pipe off and look into opening while rotating gear-see valves actually move or not?

Interesting - make sure you let us know what you find when you find it.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Here are a few more things to check before taking it to a dealer:

1) Disassemble and clean the carb. Remove and blow out the main & pilot jet with compressed air. Remove and inspect the float needle seat for excessive wear or damage. Recheck the float hieght.

2) Drain all the gas. Replace with fresh. Even if you think it’s running OK in another bike. That way, you are SURE it’s not a problem (you can always save the gas & use it later if it’s not).

3) Check your carb vent tubes to make sure they are not clogged.

4) Check your gas cap vent tube to make sure it’s not pinched.

5) Check your crank case breather tube .

6) Change the plug even if you don’t think it’s the problem. They are cheap, it’s easy to do, and you will feel stupid if you don’t and it later turns to out be the problem.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Drop the needle to the next to the top (big end) position. Sounds like you are just too rich on the top end. I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but is your air filter clean??? Cheers John

kdxkid141

May 25, 2003
Thanks all

Tried all above ideas, had to take to dealer am going to Colorado in 2 weeks and running out of time. Will let all know what is wrong.

Again Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…