need latest input on 02 KTM 125SX

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I,m thinking about buying one of these for off road. I know its an mx model but the off road models don't offer anything new vs the last few years (I have a 99 200 mxc). I am used to converting mx bikes to off road so that is not a problem. I have reviewed the few threads that were posted when the bike first came out but wondered if any owners have any more input. Thanks for your help.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Yota,
I feel your pains man. I'm in the same boat. I'd like a 200 exc but want the slimmer SX layout, new suspension, better wheels, oversize bars, etc. The sad thing is there's no reason not to do the upgrades to the off road lines, except maybe price. They even sell an oversized SX tank that holds 2.9 gallons that maintains the slim and flat profile. Anyhow, the 125 should work fine although you may want to get a couple of bolt on items to add bottom and smooth out the power. I've been campaigning an '01 125SX all year in local HS and the GNCC series with great sucess. If you want to run a 125 off road, the KTM is a good choice provided you get the suspension set up for it. Stock it will be punishing. The build quility and reliability of the KTMs are well suited the long offroad events we compete in. Plus they are easy to maintain with no linkage to grease and a no tool access airfilter!

yota

Oct 9, 2001
Budman, Thanks for the input. My 99 200 is actually an SX 125 with the motor, carb, pipe, tank and ignition from my old 98 200mxc. I did the switch to get the SX 50mm WP conv. fork on my 200. As a side benefit I also got a better shock, Excel rims. I already have the usual off road stuff which I should be able to put on an 02 125SX, skid plate, bark busters (would need brackets for fat bar), Scotts damper, V-force reed block. What I'm trying to find out is how the 02 is holding up so far, for instance I read a thread which said the new 48mm fork might have faulty seals. Does the new fork work better than the 43mm? No offense but I have ridden a few KTM's with the 43mm and I don't like it. The 99 50mm conventional puts the 43mm to shame.
Does the bike corner differently than the 01? My 200 is a great bike but I'm just in the mood for a new bike. You're right though, the new ergos, fat bar, etc are sweet. It sounds like racing a 125 off road has not been a handicap for you. In a local HS a couple of weeks ago, the kid who won was on an RM 125 and he beat the next closest AA guy by about a half mile. There is always a possibility that my 200 motor could end up in the 02 125 also.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
buffmaster, I had previously done a search and had read nikki's report. I have been riding KTM's for years and the ergos she is talking about are not as bad as they were a few years ago. I also have an 01 YZ250f and I have no problem jumping from one bike to the other (except the lack of engine braking on the KTM 200 throws me off when I first get back on it). The headshake nikki talks about is not apparent on my 99. I have a damper but don't think its really necessary for the type of riding in central Florida. THX.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom