need more bottom end power on my 91 cr125

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i have a 91 cr 125 and i would like to have more bottom end power because i do mostly woods riding, does anyone have any ideas on what to do? i already have a fmf fatty pipe on it, i thought about trying out low tension carb-tech reeds,and maybe mess with the gearing. would gearing do anything, if so what would you recommend.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
yea, reeds and low gearing are some good mods,, my best one on my 125 is using 11/52 tooth sprockets. my low gearing lets me lug my bike all over the trails and hills with very little clutch use. I've just got up to 11/54 but havent tried it yet.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding, do you have a 91 cr 125, or are you refering to your yamaha? i thought the yamaha's did pretty good on the bottom? i was looking at some gearing charts i found on the web and i think i am going to drop down to 11 teeth on the front sprocket first and see what happens. i just realized something though, do most 125's have 18 or 19 inch rear wheels? my cr has a 19 inch rear wheel and if it came from the factory with an 18 inch rear wheel would my gearing have changed because of the wheel being taller? i know that on my car that when i went from a 26 inch tall tire to a 28 inch tall tire it changed my gearing and gave me more top speed, so would this be a similar situation with the bike?

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I've got a 92 CR 125 used for woods. Overall it's not too bad - despite people saying 125s are not for the woods. Its light, starts easy, reliable, has soft suspension and smooth power. It's got a fatty pipe, 11 tooth countershaft sprocket, Boysen power reeds and an FMF turbine core 2 SA silencer. The 11 tooth sprocket made the most difference. My woods are not your woods however. Mine are very flat, so its just a matter of turning and missing trees, not climbing hills like you have in PA. That would demand more than my 11/51 combo.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding. yeah the hills around here are crazy, sometimes they are a lot of fun but they can be a total pain in the a$$ too. right now my gearing is 13 on the front and 51 on the rear, i was planning on putting an 11 on the front but i dont know what im putiing on the back yet.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i think im gonna go for that eric gore big bore. i looked into big bore kits from other places like rpm and they wanted almost $900 for everything, eric gorr only wants $375, that great! thanks for mentioning the eric gorr big bore because i honestly would have never looked for it, i didnt even know he did that kind of work.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…