sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
ok got my new bike sat went out sunday riding
took a hard crash resulting in me getting my whole left side beat up and broken rib
my bike made out a little better just broken handle bars
now i need new set any recommendations on a sturdy set
i dont race yet just trail ride want a pair that will hold up to
occasinal spill etc
what is the benifts of bars with cross bar verses ones without
and do they make a bar that is internally thicker than normal
so they dont bend as easy? also i see people changing there triple clamps should i be looking into that also
sorry for long post just need to be steered in right direction

bike is 96 yz 125 by the way

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm assuming you still have the regular (7/8") bar size. This size handlebar is only available with a crossbar. I recommend getting either Renthal 7/8" or ProTaper SE aluminum bars in your favorite bend. These suckers can handle abuse and have thicker walls (aluminum needs it to compete with steel) and shouldn't bend unless you have a bad crash, in which case the bars will be the least of your worries.

You can upgrade your bar clamps (or whole triple clamp assembly) to accept oversize (1 1/8") handlebars. I have these on my bike. I recently got a new set of Pro Taper Taperwall handlebars and have already crash tested them many times, including one mild concussion (3rd gear into a big tree!) and can honestly say they are the best handlebars I've ever had. They are so strong that instead of bending, the bolt holding the bar clamp to the triple clamp bent instead. In oversize handlebars you have quite a few choices, with the most common being TAG, Renthal Fatbar, Renthal Twinwall (has a crossbar), ProTaper Contour and ProTaper Taperwall. There are also numerous oversize bars for the budget minded rider (Moose comes to mind). Personally, I say spend the bucks and get ProTaper Taperwall bars. Excellent product.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
cool ty for info as soon as i can move around more
going to head to local shop see what they have
yeah bars were least of worry in crash yesterday
hard part will be picking out bend

may put my rm bars on i liked there bend see how it feels
was always comfortable on that bike

06yz

May 2, 2006
Hey man, I just went through the same thing. Bent my stock renthals and replaced them w/ the protaper taperwall bars w/ the Henry/Reed bend. The bend on these bars was very close to the stock bend that I had. They feel very comfortable. I also replaced the triple clamp set w/ RG3 triple clamps, very happy. I like the set up.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
When I kept bending Renthals I switched to Tag oversized bars and Tag triple clamp. I didn't want bars with the crossbar b/c I smashed my face into it once and I broke the crossbar too in another crash. So I went oversized and didn't have anymore problems with bending or breaking them. I can't wait until I bend the Renthals on my new YZ...:)

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
mxgirl what tag set are you using i was looking at the privateer kit that includes just the upper clampand bars
don't think i am hard core enough to go to the full
set of triple clamps upper and lower just want the stronger bars i am thinking about racing in future and prolly dumping in future(kinda hard to avoid being novice rider)
what are the advantages of new triple clamps is it just to run oversize bars? im lost here :whoa:
or are these just unessacery bling that i dont need

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
sparkysakitas said:
mxgirl what tag set are you using i was looking at the privateer kit that includes just the upper clampand bars

That's what I put on my CR, great deal AND I havne't bent them! :) Plus it looks sweet.

Top Bottom