Need Racing Bike?

donnieDArb

Apr 4, 2007
is a 250 to big

i was wondering if a kx 250 or cr250 is to big for me. I dont no to get a two or four stroke.please help me out. :ride:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)5`5 130
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?50/50
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????woods maybe race
4) Do you have any riding experience?fourwheelers
5) Do you think you will race ?maybe
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?probuly
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?kawasaki or honda
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?honda,kawasaki,suzuki,yamaha
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?3500
10) Do you live in California?nope

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
How old are you? Will you grow?

That bike might be a bit much for you to start on. A TTR125, DRZ125, KLX125, KX100, RM100, KTM105, or a big wheel 85 MX bike might be more your size. Once you get a bit of experiance and develope your balance a 250F isn't out of the question.

My girlfriend is 5'5" and rode my son's CRF250R. I had to hold it until she got going because her feet wouldn't touch the ground. But once she got going she was fine.

I always suggest going to the dealer and sit on a few bikes. Find the one that fits you well.

Good luck, Steve.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
snb73 is exactly right. The bikes he recommended would be better for you. Four wheelers doesn't give you much experience with anything. And to even jump onto a kx125 or cr 125 wouldn't be the smartest idea for you either as they are pretty damn quick themselves. Try out DRZ Or KLX or something. You'll save yourself a whole lotta hurt by doing that. A 250 mx bike is out of the question. They have way too much power for your experience level. No offense. Hope that helps

register

Apr 7, 2007
im the same size n hight and i took a 01 kx250 for a ride the other day, most fun ive had on a bike, you can ride one for sure

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Physically, yeah, it is probably too big for you. You are not a large man (i checked your profile). If you really think that you might race, the you should think about the 125 class bikes, and expect to do a little bit of lowering. 250 smokers are pretty strong beasts, and you can find yourself is big trouble really fast. The guy that said that quads are not experience is right. Even street bike experience counts very little when it comes to dirt riding. I ride both street and dirt, and they are totally different worlds.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
im 5'6" 150lbs and i've ridden a 2000 kx250 and i was fine. i started out in the dirt with an 83' yamaha MX80 4 stroke, rode that for a year then went to quads and have been riding them for 6 years and then i bought a bike, rode it for a couple of months before it became a money pit (still have it) then i rode a kx125 and a few mins after rode a kx250 and could flat foot it.

for the kx250 it wasnt the height and weight it was power that i had to get used to. they do have very good throttle response. they move as soon as you touch the throttle. i say go for the kx250. i plan on getting a kx250 this year instead of a new quad, and just taking my time on learning how to ride it. if you know your gonna wipe out the more the throttle is open the faster your gonna hit that tree. get the KX and take your time and dont be in a rush. you'll do fine.

donnieDArb

Apr 4, 2007
:ride: ok i am most likely going to be racing over the summer. i dont no what bike to get. i will be racing with my friend.I am just getting into the sport with no expearience on dirt bikes ony on four wheelers.So what bike should i race.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)5`5 130
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?50/50
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????tracks and woods
4) Do you have any riding experience?only on fourwheelers
5) Do you think you will race ?yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?some what
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?kawasaki
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?everything
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?no more that 3000
10) Do you live in California?nope
:ride:

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ok i am in basically the same situation u are and am the same height and weight. I will be racing this summer also and i have been doing research on here and other sites for a while. almost everyone i talked to says get a 125 2t (2 stroke) and i was thinking about getting the kawi 125. but any 125 will do.

ktm has the fastest engine but worst handling. yamaha is the tallest of the 125's and honda kawi and suzuki are good all around bikes. just ride them and pick your favorite color basically lol. that is just my and some others ive talked to opinion

keep me posted on when u get it i am getting mine in june.

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
The bike company doesn't really matter for your first bike (Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, KTM).

They're all great, they all have differences, but even if you decide to ride another bike in the future, it will only take 15-30 mins to get used to it.

But for your first bike? Definitely no 250.. unless you get a thumper (4-stroke), but still, that's a little intense. I started off around your size on a CRF150F, but i easily out grew that trail bike. I recommend a CRF150R Expert, thats the motocross version of the bike I had, it's a lot faster due to the engine modifications, etc. or an 85 2-stroke..

Mx_rider7

Jan 13, 2007
well i am 5-6 155 and i rode a yz450 no prob and it was really fun. I am also tipi toed on it but both feet touch the ground also you can lean the bike to the side to get on. I think that you should get a kx 100 or even a 105 ktm if you will spend the money

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You're big enough for a 125 or 250F (barely) but given your age, if racing is going to be your focus I would suggest a KTM105 or a Kawasaki KX100 or even one of the Big Wheel 85's. You could start racing in the 85/Supermini class and then go to a big bike next season. The benefit is you get a season of racing experience on a bike that is much easier to control and you can focus more on learning how to race and not on how to control your bike.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
chili that sounds like a good idea but he is in the same situation as me startin racing this summer same size height but one year younger. i just dont have the money to do that and in a year or two would need or want a bigger one. that probably wouldnt be in the budget, atleast not for me

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If he had said he was 16 my answer would have been to get a 125 since he would be too old for the mini classes, and that may still be the option he choses. From a strictly learning perspective I think he's better off on the small bike and upgrading but I realize sometimes that can be tough.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
o i didnt know you could compete in the mini classes when you turn 16. im competin in the 125 beginner this summer

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
well buy the 250 if you want to die. I got a buddy who bought an 82 Cr250 and he has scared himself quite a bit and eaten it pretty hard. Wasn't the best idea. He's about 6'1 and 160 to 170 pounds so he is tall and skinny. Stick with a 125 or 100 I will guarantee that's is more than enough bike for you anyways. They are super fast as well.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…